Arch based Porteus community project

Moderator: M. Eerie

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Manjaro-OpenRC/Nemesis

Re: Porteus Nemesis v3.5 BUG REPORTS

Post#241 by istinnjazz » 31 May 2016, 19:10

There has been a save file backup restore here because of some package incompatibility with theaming and unexpected xorg hi cpu performance (presumably not a nemesis issue), I do not know which one was the cause, I suspect gtk3 or glibc, it might got corrected on a next update of gtk3 (v 3.20) that was online, I am not sure.

There are ways to install updates one by one in pacman, they have been downloaded and saved in pacman cache directory for updater: /var/cache/pacman/pkg, a mass update has its risks anyway.

Code: Select all

cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg
pacman -U "package-file" 
I wish that pman updater had the ability to deselect all updates and partially install them with more control.

there is also (again) a pacman message: error: duplicated database entry 'manjaro-keyring'
It seems that there has been a xzm manjaro-keyring creation with pman at the beggining, if you use pman at first instead of the main updater, there is an error, even if you delete the xzm and reinstall keys in main the old one will create the dublication error. There has been also a "archlinux-keyring-20160402-1" creation also from the updater (there has to be some kind of arch repository communication somewhere).

ls /var/lib/pacman/local/ | grep manjaro-keyring
manjaro-keyring-20150809-1
manjaro-keyring-20160527-1

you have to delete the old one from /var/lib/pacman/local/

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai

Post#242 by istinnjazz » 31 May 2016, 22:18

Report for the login manager:
You can use multiple environments by editing lxdm.conf file in /etc/lxdm, you can install and include all the environments you want. If you need the auto login just set only the time you will see the login screen with the option not to hide available sessions.

example:
autologin=guest
timeout=30

you can set the default one e.g:

## default session or desktop used when no systemwide config
session=/usr/bin/startlxde
#session=/usr/bin/startxfce4
you can use

lxdm-config
also
but it seems auto login cannot be deactivated either way, probably there is an other global config that changes this always to autologin=guest

I was able to use the minimal openbox standalone this way (150MB of RAM used)

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/LXDM_Configuration
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXDM

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#243 by francois » 02 Jun 2016, 21:56

Hi there istinnjazz. :)

I am happy to read your interest for nemesis. You are maintaining the patient alive. Please keep your interest. I will be reading your comments.

Openbox. I am particularly interested in your openbox version which is minimalistic. I imagine that any other desktop could be built on it.

No xorg nemesis.
I was wandering if we could strip nemesis even more to a text mode version without xorg and build from there.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai

Post#244 by istinnjazz » 03 Jun 2016, 11:15

francois wrote: am happy to read your interest for nemesis.
Hallo francois, I am also glad to find out that this project is not as "sick" as it appears to be. There are some points that can be improved but I think this is a successful path of a new porteus branch. As a mutter of fact, I think it is one of the best aufs arch based distribution I have ever tried! (there are only a couple of those). At the end, maybe only this one have chances to survive.

I have used and use from time to time some puppy related distros like fatdog64 and an alternative arch based frugal distro called "alphaos" (maybe partially abandoned?).
[the similar command to "pman" on alphaOS is called "makesb"].

Although those have some interesting tools and work stably, lacked some modification features and documentation I have found in general porteus (like the straight foreword instructions for a kernel recompile). And when I saw this "nemesis" manjaro/openRC version, I was convinced to give it a try. The manjaro/aur package repository is huge, the arch platform is well supported, the Gentoo OpenRC a very respected init system. I find manjaro a good choice because of the straight support on the openRC init system.

I had also discovered the existence of the Russian only but active distro "PuppyRus", I cannot test it thought.
Those frugal distros above (alphaos/PuppyRus), I think they have locked their update managers to an "arch rollback machine", meaning that instead of using the latest updates, they stay linked on a specific date by default. This can change of course if you edit pacman conf and mirrors to the latest repository. Sometimes a good, sometimes a bad choice.

I also guess that nemesis specific custom tools/code are very few, supposedly this will make the maintenance possible, leaving most of the package support to arch/manjaro side.
I wish I knew which are they and where they reside exactly.

Finally, I am sure there are useful, basic tools that can be ported here easily. Maybe similar other distros also could feature code there, almost ready to use. For example I would like to see a create "save-file" and then a check and resize GUI script like the one from fatdog64.

I also do not know, how some manjaro related core tools could behave here, like The Manjaro HardWare Detection (mhwd) command, and the relative packages, kernels and drivers. If not, there has to be some kind of documentation not to update specific packages or use those tools.

guest ~ $ mhwd
> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:040d) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    video-nvidia-340xx            2014.09.29               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-304xx            2014.09.24               false            PCI
         video-nouveau             2015.11.08                true            PCI
              video-nv                   2012.09.18                true            PCI
            video-vesa                 2012.09.18                true            PCI

guest ~ $ mhwd-kernel -h
Usage: mhwd-kernel [option]
    -h  --help              Show this help message
    -i  --install           Install a new kernel        [kernel(s)] [optional: rmc = remove current kernel]
    -l  --list              List all available kernels
    -li --listinstalled     List installed kernels
    -r  --remove            Remove a kernel             [kernel(s)]
francois wrote:No xorg nemesis.
I was wandering if we could strip nemesis even more to a text mode version without xorg and build from there.
This would be good, as long a xorg/openbox companion xzm package could be there for anyone to use. Many will have hard time to update in console if for example, they have to use wifi. There are huge amount of options there, even for special purposes.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#245 by ncmprhnsbl » 03 Jun 2016, 23:25

istinnjazz wrote:I also guess that nemesis specific custom tools/code are very few, supposedly this will make the maintenance possible, leaving most of the package support to arch/manjaro side.
I wish I knew which are they and where they reside exactly.
look in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#246 by francois » 04 Jun 2016, 11:18

@istinnjazz:
From what I understand the main problem for brokenman the maintainer is the rolling aspect of manjaro. What would be needed is a way to keep manjaro to monthly of bimonthly basic images.

You have any suggestion in that regard?

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai

Post#247 by istinnjazz » 04 Jun 2016, 13:54

ncmprhnsbl wrote: look in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin
Ok, I see now, thanks
francois wrote:@istinnjazz:
From what I understand the main problem for brokenman the maintainer is the rolling aspect of manjaro. What would be needed is a way to keep manjaro to monthly of bimonthly basic images.
You have any suggestion in that regard?
I am not that experienced to answer this question. :unknown:
But I have some ideas, I will think of it a bit and
I will expose those as I go on understudying more aspects.
There could possibly be a versioning mechanism (?), creating/comparing previous updates from the beginning of time, I am a bit confused about the savefile content and its participation to an updated union.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#248 by francois » 04 Jun 2016, 14:16

The idea is to be able to keep with a minimalist installation. Upgrading increases the weight of the installation.

Your idea of keeping track of the added packages to the installation and to insure that they are installed over a more recent image seems interesting.

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai

Post#249 by istinnjazz » 04 Jun 2016, 18:47

Those are just some thoughts, there is lack of deep knowledge on this, so forgive me as I cannot support what I propose.

There has to be a savefile check- cleanup function to check if a package included in the new e.g. updated1 xmz file, is newer or older than the one that is installed.

If provided package is newer than the installed, there could be an auto re-installation or just use the one in xmz and delete those files from savefile that are deprecated. This means there is a savefile altering after this (so propose a backup there). If a reinstallation could solve this then the new package (package.xz) has to live somewhere physically there (increased file size like those cached in pacman). otherwise uninstall the old package and pass the new package as files as there are in new xzm (?)

If older, then do not use, just leave savefile as it is.

For other files that do not participate to the package mechanism, like those on /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin there could be a file-to-file check and replace.

Xorg has to be a separated xzm (so someone could bypass by just not using it it and update from there).
Openbox and a taskbar or other desktop in a separated xzm (so someone could bypass by just not using it it and update from there).

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#250 by francois » 04 Jun 2016, 20:46

Xorg and lxde are separate modules in the /porteus/base folder.

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai

Post#251 by istinnjazz » 04 Jun 2016, 21:42

francois wrote:Xorg and lxde are separate modules in the /porteus/base folder.
Ok, I ve suspected this, put I was not sure because of the name "gui".

this means if I will install e.g. xfce4 and config it, and then delete lxde xzm file system will work, right? And similar with "gui" deletion, I can proceed with xorg installation straight to savefile with pacman or to xzm with pman from console. Ok, I got it.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#252 by francois » 05 Jun 2016, 03:18

In fact, you just have to move lxde.xzm to /porteus/optional so that it does not bootup. xfce.xzm will contain most packages, but maybe some additional adjustment like the one to .xinitrc could be found in the changes folder. But maybe we are offtopic here related to bug reports.

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai

Post#253 by istinnjazz » 08 Jun 2016, 09:59

This topic has became a bit more than bug reports, sorry for this,
lets say it is a bit more on the "report" than bugs, bugs or hidden issues sometimes are being revealed through testing and reporting especially on new stuff. It is the "unknown" testing nature I guess for this release. So we cannot avoid it, or maybe we have to open an other topic(?)
You are right, I will stay on reports/bugs and only if there is something interesting.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#254 by francois » 09 Jun 2016, 00:25

@istinnjazz:
Your comments are really interesting and refreshing. Keeping this thread for bugs would be the best option, but not at the price of loosing your precious observations and comments.

It would be a good idea that you continue to dissert in another thread on nemesis in the same way you are doing presently. We would be pleased to join you. And offer porteus principles and philosophy guidance. :)

What about:
Nemesis under the magnifying glass of a manjaro or arch linux veteran.
Nemesis under test: arch linuxer point of view.

istinnjazz
Samurai
Samurai

Post#255 by istinnjazz » 09 Jun 2016, 14:25

francois wrote:Nemesis under the magnifying glass of a manjaro or arch linux veteran
Hey, I do not even consider myself an experienced arch user, just a decent level of knowledge, thanks for your kind words.

Your wittings though, gave me the idea to post a fresh informative note about nemesis on the new manjaro forum, this is a totally new platform and the old forum will not be transfered.

Here is the topic:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/porteus-nem ... ution/3659