[Solved] How can I get IP address of my Porteus kiosk SERVER to connect porteus kiosk CLIENT?

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
random
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: kiosk server

[Solved] How can I get IP address of my Porteus kiosk SERVER to connect porteus kiosk CLIENT?

Post#1 by random » 19 Oct 2017, 14:33

Hello,

I work on Virtual Box for testing Porteus solution. Firstly i want to install PORTEUS KIOSK SERVER with one PORTEUS KIOSK (client)

When I install Porteus Kiosk Server, i can not connect at the network with a fixed IP. Nevermind i used dhcp protocol.

Now i need to connect my client to my server, but i don't have any IP to inform (IP of the server obviously).

How can i find my IP server ? I can't use ifconfig in the console (like tty1 in the client) because he doesn't have any terminal ( :wall: ). And i have no access to the log of my dhcp...

My apologies for my basic English :sorry: .
Last edited by random on 17 Nov 2017, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

How can I get IP address of my Porteus kiosk SERVER to connect porteus kiosk CLIENT?

Post#2 by fanthom » 19 Oct 2017, 18:35

Hi random,

In VirtualBox's VM settings you could attach the NIC to a bridged adapter and then you should be able to set static IP for the server. Use the same gateway, netmask and DNS server but different IP as the host PC has.

Thanks.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

random
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: kiosk server

How can I get IP address of my Porteus kiosk SERVER to connect porteus kiosk CLIENT?

Post#3 by random » 17 Nov 2017, 12:44

Thank's a lot for the answer, you are right, i used my NIC on NAT. "The bridged mode" work's

I had try your server solution but finally, it's not really useful for my job. Actually i install a PXE server (with SUSE) for manage a lot of kiosk, it's almost done :celebrate3: (The NFS service doesn't work yet, but i try again)

See you soon may be :D