Big Thanks[SOLVED]

Please post in this category if you are extremely happy with Porteus.
WARNING: This section may contain strong language.
mdavies5
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3.2

Big Thanks[SOLVED]

Post#1 by mdavies5 » 29 Dec 2014, 03:43

I've just installed V3.1 LXqt on a 4gb USB stick. The whole process was error free and everything worked as it should. I test and review a lot of distros and I cannot say this about very many of them.
A great thanks to the whole team!
Last edited by mdavies5 on 04 May 2015, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Big Thanks

Post#2 by francois » 30 Dec 2014, 06:00

Please let us know if you review porteus. We would lie to read about it. :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

mdavies5
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by mdavies5 » 31 Dec 2014, 01:17

Hi Francois,
In due course I will review but I am still checking out the features. I have some questions but I will attempt to find the answers before bothering the forum. eg Why are all my partitions on all drives mounted at boot, even though I configure PcMan not to mount? I have already found out why usm and all apps prefixed "porteus" do not work when logged in as root. Now I just have to find a solution which does not upset the guest login.
I'll keep you posted.
Happy New Year/Bonne Année
Michael

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 02 Jan 2015, 11:23

Why are all my partitions on all drives mounted at boot, even though I configure PcMan not to mount?
drives are mounted by initrd (core is shared across all the desktops) so you have to use 'noauto' cheatcode.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#5 by Rava » 03 May 2015, 14:58

@mdavies5
Now, 4 months later, did you manage to compile a hopefully positive review about Porteus?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

mdavies5
White ninja
White ninja

Re: Big Thanks[SOLVED]

Post#6 by mdavies5 » 04 May 2015, 02:56

Hi Rava,
I have checked the reviews in DistroWatch and Linux User and they cover it very well. I cannot really add anything. The main point I would like to empasise is the ease of installation and speed of use. I use it on a 4Gb USB stick for portability but I also have just installed it on a spare hdd partition. I can boot into Porteus and use GParted to check and copy my main system partition.
Cheers
Michael

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 04 May 2015, 03:24

mdavies5!
mdavies5 wrote:I have checked the reviews in and they cover it very well. I cannot really add anything. The main point I would like to empasise is the ease of installation and speed of use. I use it on a 4Gb USB stick for portability but I also have just installed it on a spare hdd partition. I can boot into Porteus and use GParted to check and copy my main system partition.
Especially the highlighted parts would make a good quote for our wikipedia entry. If you can, please post the above, with more info to make it a full review (like what DistroWatch and Linux User wrote) on your site or blog;

Also, do DistroWatch and Linux User really review the recent 3.1 version?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

mdavies5
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by mdavies5 » 05 May 2015, 01:24

Unfortunately I do not have a website or a blog; I'm not much into social media. My only published reviews are in the Full Circle magazine but they will only publish Ubuntu based version reviews. Distrowatch reviewed V3.0.1 last September, Linux User reviewed V2.0.
To my mind they missed the point in comparing it to full blown distros but they still had plenty of complimentary comments.
Cheers
Michael

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Rava » 05 May 2015, 18:26

^ What a bummer. Like I said the two reviews are not about the recent version, also it should be shown that lots of extra modules exist that expand the OS similar to full fledged standard Linux...

With not liking the social media hype, I get that. technically I am part since I do have a livejournal, but I hardly post there, did not post in many years, and sure I am not of failbook or twitter or tumbler or such.
To be honest, I registerd using my real name, for failbook, but only so that my name cannot be abused by anyone else, never put any info on there and sure never will, with the general terms and conditions saying my photos and the content I created now belongs to a big company making thousands of bucks every nano second just because I put in on there.

It's like the rights to BMW or Chrysler now belonging to the newspaper company cause BMW put an advertisement in the paper...
Cheers!
Yours Rava