The Chilling Effect...

Please post in this category if you are extremely unhappy with Porteus.
WARNING: This section may contain strong language.
fullmoonremix

The Chilling Effect...

Post#1 by fullmoonremix » 24 Jun 2016, 13:09

...Philosopher Mode: on

This thread is to address a phenomenon that I observed in the absence of Dialogue .

If valid threads and posts are attacked (NOT... simply questioned) they will be dismissed by others as bogus.

If this continues without closure the person on the receiving end has 7 options...

1) Continue to waste time and effort (aka "turn the other cheek").
2) Negotiate (aka "PM").
3) Preface (aka "the unwritten rules of engagement" see also http://www.dictionary.com/browse/context ).
4) Confrontation (aka... "calling out" and publically "facing your accuser").
5) Dissent (aka "speaking truth to power"... which is basically this forum section).
6) Do not post (aka "the chilling effect").
7) Vote with your feet (aka "customer feedback").

I speak for myself in pointing out this... the 1st option (a total dealbreaker) guarantees non-closure because it gives a "free pass"
which encourages more attacks ("trolling"). And the last 2 options (although perhaps satisfying) are not really productive.

IMO... the 2nd is effective because it takes away the "toy" (the audience). Critics fear this one. The 3rd (of course... when in context)
is effective @ least in taking away the other popular "toy" (the excuse) rendering the attacks (although not stopping them) moot.

The 5th option attempts to cast light on the possibility that the Emperor has no clothes.
And as has been often pointed out (by cooler heads that prevail)... the 4th one means everybody loses.

The way I see it... there is a place in public forums for disagreement.
However... disagreeable should always be a private affair (ie... "PM").

Posted by 73.112.18.88 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service

iVAN
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Windows / Linux / Porteus

Re: The Chilling Effect...

Post#2 by iVAN » 19 May 2017, 14:44

Astronaut Mode: On
..ähhm I think you have to be quick to get the next Rocket, but anyway, it could be that there is no one left at -Lunar Station One- .. 8)
..and do not stumble and fall into the Fuel-Tank; believe me! :beer:
..making a Porteus Module is difficult. No! It`s Easy! Difficult! No, Eaasy! Difficult! Eaaasyyy! Diffiiiiiicult! Easy! DIFFICULT!!!!! EEEEAAASSSSYYYYY! :O: DIIIFFIIIICUUUULT! :O: ........................ :wall: :wall: :wall:

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: The Chilling Effect...

Post#3 by francois » 19 May 2017, 21:51

This is not a very good idea Ivan to revive some sentences that we almost forgot. :wink:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.