unsquashfs and then mksquashfs break SSH

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
link08
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus-Kiosk-3.7.0-i586

Post#1 by link08 » 05 Dec 2017, 02:45

I need to modify 003-settings.xzm, because I need to modify /opt/porteus-scripts/gui-app to change my browser behaviour. I also have module 08-ssh.xzm in my porteus kiosk ISO. After I mksquashfs 003-settings.xzm file and create porteus kiosk ISO again - SSH module stop working. At first I thought that my modifications of /opt/porteus-scripts/gui-app is the cause of the problem. However I unsquashfs>squashfs 003-settings.xzm file WITHOUT any modifications and SSH module stop working. When I try to use port scaner on port 22 on porteus kiosk it shows that port is open, but not listening. I use instructions from http://porteus-kiosk.org/modules.html so they are not correct.
I would appreciate ASAP answers on question since I need to prepare the project today or tomorrow.

link08
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus-Kiosk-3.7.0-i586

Post#2 by link08 » 06 Dec 2017, 11:57

possible solution will be use dir2xzm instead of using mksquashfs from squashfs-tools.

stanis
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 4.6.0

Post#3 by stanis » 01 Jun 2018, 13:46

Hi, i have the same problem: unsquash->edit->squash(or without edit). Iso is built correctly, but then no ssh.
is dir2xzm working for you? If so where did you got it from.
I am quite confused on where to find it.
Can you throw me a tip?

Thank you.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 02 Jun 2018, 07:35

Hi stanis,

Please provide output of 'mksquashfs' command on your system.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Funtik
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Private

Post#5 by Funtik » 19 Mar 2019, 08:35

Similar problem. After manual assembly according to the instructions, SSH stops working. I edit the installation image and collect it in the latest version of CentOS 7.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 19 Mar 2019, 08:46

I'll repeat:

"Please provide output of 'mksquashfs' command on your system."

Funtik
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by Funtik » 19 Mar 2019, 09:12

OK. As I will be at the workplace, I will check and sign off here. Now I am reading the forum threads in order to better understand the principle of your program. Accidentally discovered a similar situation and decided to write.

Funtik
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by Funtik » 24 Mar 2019, 19:35

Today, a new image assembled. Now I connect via SSH without any problems. The only thing I don’t know is what helped — assigning root rights: root to all directories except the GUEST directory, or what the firewall left on during the installation (before that I turned off the firewall).

The only thing that is not convenient is that for each connection on the SSH server for some reason uses different keys.

bonzo
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 4.8

Post#9 by bonzo » 29 Aug 2019, 06:19

I also had this problem. I.e changed 08-ssh.xzm and then couldn't ssh into the kiosk pc.
What I found was that the permissions on /var/empty had changed. This dir must be owned by root and have 744 permissions.
When you extract the files as a normal user, the original ownership / permissions are lost. Extracting and packing as root will avoid this problem.

i.e. extract

Code: Select all

apt install squashfs-tools
sudo unsquashfs 08-ssh.xzm
compress

Code: Select all

sudo mksquashfs squashfs-root local-settings.xzm -comp xz -b 256K -Xbcj x86 -noappend

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#10 by fanthom » 29 Aug 2019, 06:28

Great - thank you for sharing!