What does SWAP option in Porteus Kiosk actually means?

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
link08
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus-Kiosk-3.7.0-i586

Post#1 by link08 » 10 Nov 2017, 14:30

When configuring Porteus Kiosk 3.7.0 32-bit we are presented with SWAP option (see screenshot)
We are sad that we can not use for swap the same device from which we are booting from. But I do not understand does this means same partition or same disk? After creating Porteus Kiosk USB drive which has 8GB - actual Porteus data use only about 900MB. Other space is just wasted. So my question is - how to create swap partition on free space on this USB flash drive and how to tell Porteus Kiosk to use - swap partition on the same disk from which it boots up?

link08
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#2 by link08 » 14 Nov 2017, 20:57

Is this really a hard question?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 14 Nov 2017, 21:21

As a regular Porteus user rather than a Kiosk user I will say I have never used a swap file with my Linux systems. I would say if you have machines with more than 512 MB of RAM you don't need a swap file.

If you want one on the same flash drive partition it and put the swap file in the new partition.

BTW The space outside of the Kiosk can be used to save file downloads, config backups and etc. It doesn't need to be wasted.
Ed

link08
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#4 by link08 » 05 Dec 2017, 07:54

If you burn Porteus Kiosk installation directly ro Flash drive - it's burned as 3 partitions - the 3rd partition is xfs file system and I think is not used by Porteus Kiosk. So you can delete that partitioin and create linux_swap partition of needed size on it's place. If in Porteus wizard swap was enabled - the system will connect this swap partition. So yes - swap partition can be on the same disk as Porteus Kiosk installation. You can check if swap is connected by entering free -m command while connected via ssh or in terminal in debug mode.
However if you burn Porteus Kiosk installation as ISO to Flash Drive using Rufus or other burn software - the flash drive contain only 1 parition of ISO9660 file system - which can not be resized by GParted. This partition uses all flash drive space, so you can not create swap partition on the this flash drive.

New 64 bit versions of proteus kiosk, as I know, use SWAP file, instead of partition, so that shoud not be a problem.