Install latest Chromium instead of Chrome in Porteus kiosk 32-bit 3.7.0

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
link08
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus-Kiosk-3.7.0-i586

Post#1 by link08 » 29 Sep 2017, 12:39

We need to make kiosk system for very old computers with 32-bit processors. However version of Google chrome included with latest 32-bit version of porteus kiosk 3.7.0 do not work correctly with our web sites. Because of this we want to substitute Google chrome with Chromium (or at least Opera) which works with our sites good. Firefox do not work with out sites good. I can not find any how-to where I can see steps that I need to do to substitue Google Chrome with Chromium or Opera.

link08
White ninja
White ninja

Post#2 by link08 » 13 Oct 2017, 13:26

As of now we decided to abandon Chrome and Chromium and stick with Firefox.
However Firefox 50 do not work on Porteus kiosk 32-bit 3.7.0
I downloaded Firefox 50 module from ftp http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/dl.porteus ... t/modules/
This module work without problems on Porteus - not kiosk edition.
However on Porteus kiosk edition I get error:

Code: Select all

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox-50.1.0/libmozgtk.so:
libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
How do I install GTK3 on Porteus kiosk edition? Which package manager should I use? I tried USM and slackyd and they both report "not found"

link08
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by link08 » 13 Oct 2017, 13:28

I want to add also that abandoning 32-bit Porteus was not very wise solution even when Google stopped supporting 32 bit Linux. Kiosk computers are logically much less powerful than other computers and that decision left lots of people in an unpleasant situation.