DPMS/Browser reset/Custom Screensaver file issues

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
cobi
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3.6

DPMS/Browser reset/Custom Screensaver file issues

Post#1 by cobi » 27 Jun 2016, 21:48

Just learning how to set this up and so far it seems like a great product. Having some issues though and have searched but didn't find answers. I believe we are on build 3.6.

What I wanted to accomplish:
Custom Wallpaper with Company Logo - Worked
@ 8 minutes of inactivity - a custom screensaver with a warning that the browser would refresh (created a zip with only one image). It's the same image as the wallpaper but contains the reset warning.
@ 10 minute - Turn off monitor (DPMS) and reset chrome back to homepage

What happened:
@ 8 minutes the custom wallpaper appeared (not the screensaver image). I double & triple checked that I had the right image uploaded..... but always got the wallpaper image. Even removed the custom background and when the screensaver time hit, the default Porteus Kiosk background appeared as opposed to my 1 image ZIP. So I KNOW it's the wallpaper not the zip that is coming up when the time hits.
@10 minutes the monitor shut off (for about 10 seconds)
@10:10 monitor wakes up and the custom wallpaper re-appears.

Even if (for the sake of argument) I did screw up and uploaded the wrong screensaver image, why is the screen waking right back up after DPMS kicks in @10 minutes? It would seem the browser reset constitutes activity? Can I accomplish what I want to do? Order of the lines in the config file make no difference I assume?

This was my config:
connection=wired
network_interface=eth0
dhcp=yes
browser=chrome
enable_dpms=yes
homepage=http://www.website.com/links.aspx
hostname=Kiosk1
browser_idle_forced=10
scheduled_action= Monday-16:45 Tuesday-16:45 Wednesday-16:45 Thursday-16:45 Friday-16:45 action:halt
allow_popup_windows=yes
printer_connection=lpd://192.168.0.18/queue
printer_model=Xerox Phaser 4400N
root_password=admin
screensaver_idle=8
screensaver_archive=http://www.website.com/uploads/files/screensaver.zip

timezone=US/Mountain
wallpaper=http://www.website.com/uploads/images/wallpaper.jpg
screen_settings=VGA1:1152x864:75.00:normal:normal:normal
additional_components=uefi.zip 10-printing.xzm

Even tried taking DPMS out of the equation. Set the browser reset to 8 min and screensaver to 9 minutes. Screensaver never appeared (again likely because the reset trips the inactivity timer?). Next test will probably be to change from custom screensaver to "ripples" and see if anything changes.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: DPMS/Browser reset/Custom Screensaver file issues

Post#2 by fanthom » 27 Jun 2016, 21:56

Hello cobi,

1) your zip archive must be not accessible and that's why system defaults to original wallpaper.

2) browser_idle_ forced paramete emulate a key press event which wakes up the monitor. Please try basic 'browser_idle=' parameter instead.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

cobi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by cobi » 27 Jun 2016, 22:22

Thanks, we'll double check the screensaver stuff and try the browser_idle.

Appreciate it.

cobi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by cobi » 28 Jun 2016, 16:16

The basic "browser_idle" seemed to work better. Doesn't always seem to reset (one page had scrooling images, maybe it sees that as activity?). But I think it will work OK, at least it allows the DPMS to kick in. Thanks.

It still doesn't like my custom screensaver. I think I'm just going to go with "ripples" instead.

This is the link to my zip file if anyone wants to look at it. Not that I expect anyone to open a zip file someone posts on the internet, haha!
http://www.gjha.org/uploads/files/screensaver.zip

The zip file was created with the native Windows10 zip function (Right Click - Send To --> Compressed Zipped folder). I even added a 2nd image to the file just in case for some reason it didn't like a single file in the zip.

We can successfully download the file in Chrome (Windows) but if you launch the Chrome browser in the Porteus Kiosk you get "Failed - Download Error" when browsing to the same link.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 28 Jun 2016, 16:32

Hello cobi,

Please send your kiosk config to support@porteus-kiosk.org.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

cobi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by cobi » 28 Jun 2016, 17:12

fanthom wrote:Hello cobi,

Please send your kiosk config to support@porteus-kiosk.org.

Thank you.
Done, thanks for the help. I'll post back and mark as solved if they figure it out.