Scheduled Actions

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
mikill
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slax

Scheduled Actions

Post#1 by mikill » 20 Apr 2016, 12:23

Hi !

I'm using porteus and i think it's perfect for my needs. Just one question:

In scheduled action i need to use a custom action to sleep/hybernate or freeze the computer. What i have to write in the custom field ? I try "sleep" ,"freeze" or "mem" but nothing happen at scheduled time. If i write reboot it works.

In the power management of the configuration wizard, i can try the power states. If i try with freeze and the other power state it works so i think the computer can do it. I just need to know the correct commands to write in the custom action field.

Thank you !!!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Scheduled Actions

Post#2 by fanthom » 20 Apr 2016, 13:45

Hello mikill,

You can use either in the wizard (whichever is supported by your PC) - remember to select custom action:

Code: Select all

echo freeze > /sys/power/state
echo mem > /sys/power/state
echo standby > /sys/power/state
Sample:

scheduled_action=Monday-16:00 Tuesday-17:30 Wednesday-17:30 Thursday-17:30 Friday-16:30 action:echo mem > /sys/power/state
Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

mikill
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by mikill » 21 Apr 2016, 01:24

Thank you for your reply !

I try with your code but nothing happen at the scheduled time. In the scheduled action i choose "custom" and in the field below i wrote: echo mem > /sys/power/state than i click on the OK button. On the next page i can see a text area with all my options and there is also a line like this: scheduled_action=Monday-16:00 Tuesday-17:30 Wednesday-17:30 Thursday-17:30 Friday-16:30 action:echo mem > /sys/power/state

Now i write the kiosk on a pen drive and reboot. At scheduled time nothing happen. As i told before... if i simply write "reboot" in the custom action field, it works ! So i thought that my computer doesn't support any of the power state but it looks impossible to me, cause if i press the power button, appears a windows in which i can select if reboot, shut down or freeze/standby... if i click on freeze or standby the laptop correctly goes in this mode. If I press the power button again, i correctly return in the kiosk. And also in the wizard, under the Power Management i can test the MEM and FREEZE mode and they works. ( Standby mode isn't selectable...... ).

Am i wrong or my laptop has a problem ? Tomorrow i'll try the kiosk on a different PC just for testing. If could be interesting , i can send you the log file from debug mode.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 21 Apr 2016, 07:50

Does it work when you run these commands over ssh?

EDIT://
I have got same bug report on email so it must be a code issue. I'll check this myself and post solution once the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#5 by fanthom » 21 Apr 2016, 20:46

I have changed the way the commands get executed and it works ok now.
Please download 3.7.0 ISO once again.

Thank you.

mikill
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by mikill » 24 Apr 2016, 16:50

Hello Fanthom !

I just downloaded again the kiosk from www.porteus-kiosk.org/download.html and nothing changed. I check the previous .iso with the latest one that i downloaded and they have exactly the same size 55.574.528 byte

Is correct that the new iso is exactly the same of the previous ones ? Because also with this new release i have the same problem !

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 24 Apr 2016, 17:25

Size is the same but md5sum of the ISO has changed:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/public/3.7/md5sum

Please make sure you use:

45ebb5f456d7aab6c85e2792380c49f0  Porteus-Kiosk-3.7.0-i586.iso

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#8 by fanthom » 26 Apr 2016, 20:10

It was not fixed indeed but its definitely fixed now - please download again.

Sorry for the troubles.

mikill
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by mikill » 26 Apr 2016, 23:19

Ok thank you very much !!!!! Now it works !!!

I'm just doing some tests to achieve what i want. I let you know when i'm ready for the modification to have full persistence of the cache also if I reboot the machine , as i told you by email !

Thank you again !