Persistent storage of local HTML file

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
tstrotz
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk

Persistent storage of local HTML file

Post#1 by tstrotz » 07 Apr 2015, 19:33

I'm new to the forum here and have been doing quite a bit of research to get Porteus Kiosk edition up and running just how I'd like. I'll start by saying I am unbelievably happy with this distribution and the fact that it has a built-in option for interactive VNC control. On to my problem... I've become aware that the "/rootcopy" folder has been removed as of a couple of versions ago as it caused issues with Kiosk's that were being PXE booted. Given I'm not going to be booting my kiosks via PXE boot and shouldn't have that issue, is there anyway to re-enable the "/rootcopy" folder? Perhaps I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective as well so I'll just explain what I'm trying to do. I have a local HTML file that I want to set as the homepage on the kiosk (nothing new here, I've seen other posts wanting to do the same thing), but I'll need to update this HTML file every once and a while. I want to be able to update this file by using SSH (WinSCP or PuTTY) without having to remaster the ISO every time. Is there any way to accomplish this?

I appreciate any help I can get and once again, I'm glad I stumbled across Porteus Kiosk, it works great! :D

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Persistent storage of local HTML file

Post#2 by fanthom » 08 Apr 2015, 16:41

hello tstrotz,

/rootcopy folder wont help as the kiosk is still burnt on the target media in the ISO form so its read only.

you need additional persistent partition so please try this approach:
- remaster installation ISO and add fdisk/mkfs.xfs utilities to it
- edit 003-settings.xzm/etc/rc.d/rc.local and add a tweak to mount persistent partition under /opt/www (e.g.: mkdir -p /opt/www && mount /dev/sda2 /opt/www)
- create custom ISO with your modifications included
- enable file:// protocol in the wizard and set the homepage to /opt/www/index.html
- enable ssh component and install kiosk as normal
- login to kiosk through ssh
- add new partition using fdisk
- format the partition with mkfs.xfs
- reboot the kiosk and check if your partition gets mounted under /opt/www with your /etc/rc.d/rc.local tweak.

in case of troubles i could do all the job for you through the 'customized builds' service:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/builds.html

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#3 by fanthom » 08 Apr 2015, 16:44

ahhh... forgot one more thing:
you need to disable 'powering down storage devices' function in /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart otherwise your persistent partition wont be accessible (whole device will go down).

tstrotz
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk

Post#4 by tstrotz » 08 Apr 2015, 18:25

Thank you for the quick reply, fanthom. Looks like I got it all under control except I can't seem to find any line with "powering down storage devices" in the autostart file. Could it be called something else or am I just glancing over it? Also, as far as adding fdisk and mkfs.xfs, are those already included or is there a guide that I can follow for adding those utilities? Thanks again :D

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#5 by fanthom » 08 Apr 2015, 19:05

cant remember exac name but i think its /opt/porteus-scripts/power_saver.
you can copy fdisk and mkfs.xfs from 32bit desktop and it should work.