Porting customizations to kiosk 3.1

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
rh102801
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.7 kiosk

Porting customizations to kiosk 3.1

Post#1 by rh102801 » 14 Jul 2014, 16:11

I have some customizations that I would like to port to the new Kiosk version. The customizations are making use of the rootcopy directory which I understand is no longer used in the new version (3.1) and would like to know what the best way to port those would be.

My customizations are a local html file as my homepage (File:///tmp/website/mywebsite.html). If I understand correctly, in order to get that working on the new version, I would have to create an xzm file which would include the website html file along with any additional files needed. Is this correct? how would I go about determining the path to these files when specifying my homepage?

The second customization is NTP which involves changes to the rc.local, services, ntp.conf and rc.Firewall files, plus the addition of some libraries (I think that was all of them).

I believe I have to create the rc.Local as there isn't one by default in the 3.1 version but as far as the other files, would I just modify the xzm file where those files are contained if if any of them do not exist I would just create them?

Thanks

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Porting customizations to kiosk 3.1

Post#2 by fanthom » 14 Jul 2014, 18:34

If I understand correctly, in order to get that working on the new version, I would have to create an xzm file which would include the website html file along with any additional files needed. Is this correct?
yes - this is correct
how would I go about determining the path to these files when specifying my homepage?
the same way as in 3.0 release
I believe I have to create the rc.Local as there isn't one by default in the 3.1 version but as far as the other files, would I just modify the xzm file where those files are contained if if any of them do not exist I would just create them?
you could do better - you could gather ALL files from every xzm (001-core.xzm, 003-settings.xzm, etc..) which you modify in one xzm module named: xx-my_customizations.xzm.

explanation:
kiosk is based on aufs which means that has layered structure. files included in every activated module are mounted in one folder (/union) and creates virtual filesystem. if files are doubled in two or more modules then last one activated is visible in live filesystem and others are hidden.
modules are activated in alphabetical order that's why you should name your custom modules as 'xx-*' so it will be activated as the last one.

main advantage of this approach is that you can do kiosk upgrades easily:
download new ISO -> unpack it -> add your custom module -> create new ISO ->boot and check if your customizations are still working (sometimes upgrades may break your customizations).

some additional info can be find here:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/file-structure.html
http://porteus-kiosk.org/modules.html
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rh102801
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.7 kiosk

Re: Porting customizations to kiosk 3.1

Post#3 by rh102801 » 14 Jul 2014, 18:40

Excellent answer... I like the idea of having one xzm with all my changes as it makes it easier to keep up with them.
I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks again