Whitelist using domain names?

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
hcotech
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Ubuntu

Whitelist using domain names?

Post#1 by hcotech » 21 May 2014, 14:00

I think the answer to this is probably "not currently supported", but I was wondering if it is currently possible, or if it would be something you would consider adding in the future, the ability to whitelist or blacklist domains. I work for a public library and wanted to use Porteus or a similar free software on our public catalog computers. The issue is, I don't have all the IP addresses, just a very long list of domains that need to be allowed. We need to allow these sites, and block everything else. I think this would be a very useful feature. Is it beyond the limitations of the software, or something that you may consider adding in the future?

Thanks so much for making this awesome software available.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Whitelist using domain names?

Post#2 by fanthom » 21 May 2014, 14:13

we are currently very busy with preparing new kiosk website and 3.1 release but will add 'blacklisting/whitelisting using domain names' to my TODO list.
not sure when it will be implemented - hopefully for next release which means about 6 months. if you cant wait that long then please contact me through the commercial 'Customized builds' facility:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/builds.html
and we can deal about the price.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

hcotech
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Ubuntu

Post#3 by hcotech » 21 May 2014, 15:28

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I will be checking back periodically then to see if that is something that you implement. For the time being I think we will set up our own proxy server here and use that for our needs.

Free is unfortunately the only option for us, as our library funding was reduced by over 50% in the last few years. Sadly my yearly salary (which is not large to begin with) is larger than the entire IT budget. Thank you again for the reply, and I look forward to seeing the 3.1 release.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 21 May 2014, 16:21

no problem :)
and i think that proxy would be the best solution as it does caching as well.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.