Java application will not start

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Tom H
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: kiosk

Java application will not start

Post#1 by Tom H » 13 Mar 2014, 07:48

Hi,

My name is Tom and I do some IT work at our local football club.
Currently I have 4 xp workstations that are locked down to run only 2 applications (using windows steadystate).
One is fox-it reader and the other one is a java application of the football federation in the Netherlands.

Because MS will stop the support of XP, I need to look at a replacement. Other versions of windows is not an option. It cost a lot of money.
The hardware we use is also very old ( P4, 2,4 GHz and 512 MB mem).

The kiosk version fullfill my needs almost. It can run an java application within the browser, but it cannot run the java application on its own.
The java applet I am talking about is here below. Click on the lion icon named KNVB. Sorry, the site is in dutch
http://www.sportlinkclub.nl/index.php/downloads

I assume it's because only an add-on of java is installed in the browser, not the complete runtime version.
Is it possible to modify the kiosk version to run an java applet?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Java application will not start

Post#2 by brokenman » 13 Mar 2014, 10:55

You will need to download the jre slackware package. Convert it to a module and add it to the kiosk then remaster the ISO. Please read the documentation on customizing the kiosk and report if you have problems.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Java application will not start

Post#3 by fanthom » 13 Mar 2014, 12:57

openjre is included in java extension (otherwise icedtea-web plugin would not work) so it must be something else.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.