Local AspNet Core server on a Porteus client

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Norminal
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: none

Local AspNet Core server on a Porteus client

Post#1 by Norminal » 10 Mar 2024, 14:21

Hello,
my company has developed a kiosk app that works as a localhost server. I am trying to find a suitable Linux environment to deploy it on (having only very basic Linux knowledge)

The UI (browser) would simply access it by pointing to http://localhost:5000 (or whatever port we end up using).
The server app is a .NET 8 AspNet Core server. It has access to the following peripherals:
- POS printer - via USB(virtual COM), needs rights for /dev/ttyACM0
- NFC/QR scanners - need access to input and/or rawhid subsystems.
This architecture was initially meant for Windows, but it was verified to work on Linux (Debian 12). I just need to set it up to run in kiosk mode.

Porteus kiosk provides a locked-down browser UI, which is great, except I also need the server to run on the machine.
I was thinking I would start a daemon on system startup, which would run the app. Obviously I'd also need the dotnet framework installed on the machine for this to work.
I would also need to run an "updater daemon", that would periodically check for new versions of the application. If found, it would download the new files, stop the server daemon, replace the old files with the new ones and restart the daemon.

Is this possible? Can I setup custom daemons on a Porteus Kiosk system? If so, how would I go about this?