Change Boot Splash Screen

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
millerthegorilla
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus kiosk

Post#1 by millerthegorilla » 28 Oct 2023, 15:10

Hi, I have customised the iso to add a network chooser dialog, so that the distro can be used to revive old laptops to be used as kiosk mode youtube browsers so that parents can leave their kids with the laptop and know that they will only access youtube.

I am calling this Papillote (butterfly) and want to let potential users download it as donation ware, with donations over the server costs being donated to a charity for survivors of abuse.

I want to customise the boot screen to have an image of a butterfly and the name Papillotte. Where is the boot image stored, and how can I change it?

Many thanks...

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#2 by Rava » 03 Nov 2023, 06:33

Tried looking for that, extra downloaded the Porteus-Kiosk-5.5.0-x86_64.iso

No image found in boot/ that I can identify.
There is an image in /docs :

Code: Select all

root@rava:/mnt/loop/docs# file default.jpg 
default.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, resolution (DPCM), density 28x28, segment length 16
Trying to open that with my image viewer viewnior I get an error I never saw before:

Code: Select all

Error interpreting JPEG image file
(Suspension not allowed here)
Dunno if /docs/default.jpg is the file you are looking for.

Sorry to be of no more help.
Cheers!
Yours Rava