A Number of Problems/Questions

Get help with XFCE specific problems
Jacoby59
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.0 RazorQT

A Number of Problems/Questions

Post#1 by Jacoby59 » 23 Sep 2014, 07:12

1. My time region in Porteus is set correctly, yet the clock in the panel is 6 hours behind. I right-clicked>properties on the clock, hoping to be able to adjust the time, but there isn't an option for that. There isn't a Time & Date Settings in Settings Manager either.

2. How can I set the auto-hide popup and popdown delay for the xfce panel? The panel is set to 'Automatically show and hide' and it currently takes about 2-3 seconds to pop up after I hover the pointer on its edge. I want the panel to instantly popup whenever the pointer reaches the bottom edge of the screen (where my panel is located).

3. I downloaded xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-1.2.2-i486.xzm from https://porteus-apps.org and activated it. However, the whisker icon didn't automatically appear in the panel (replacing the porteus icon). What do I need to type in the terminal to activate whiskermenu?

4. Speaking of typing in terminal, is it possible to create a shortcut for active modules that don't have an icon so I don't have to type the command every time I want to run it? For instance, I have to type 'openvpn-gui' every time I want to run Open VPN.

5. I recently found Cairo Dock in porteus apps but unfortunately, it is only available for 64 bit. Is there a way to run this module in 32 bit? I REALLY need this!

6. When I click on 'Update All' in USM, where are the downloaded updates stored?

7. Is it possible to change the desktop environment without re-downloading Porteus again? For instance, I'm currently using xfce. If I want to change it to razorqt, do I have to download Porteus RazorQT or I can activate the desktop environment just by replacing 003-xfce.xzm (located in porteus>base) with razorqt.xzm?

8. Can I convert virtually any .deb file to a module using deb2xzm or is there a catch (i.e. dependency issues)?

9. I'd like to change my file manager (currently Thunar) to Nautilus. I searched for it on USM but didn't find it. Is it supposed to be installed by using another method? Please provide a download link. And if I do replace Thunar with Nautilus will it break Porteus or cause performance issues?

10. How can I pin running windows to launcher icons in the xfce panel (much like Windows) so there's one icon for every app? For instance, if Google Chrome is running, I can click the Google Chrome launcher icon to minimize/maximize the window. KDE has this feature if I remember right.

Looking forward to your replies! Thanks :roll:
Last edited by Jacoby59 on 23 Sep 2014, 18:34, edited 3 times in total.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Re: A Number of Problems/Questions

Post#2 by beny » 23 Sep 2014, 11:42

1 you can use ntpdate ntp1.ien your country in console to sinc time and date
3 if you have the bottom dock right click on one icon,pannel.adds new element ,launcher then you choose the whiskermenu icon and you have the icon in the taskbar
4 you can link a script to one icon and run all you want
6 /var/usm
7 you can download only the desktop environment that you want xfce lxde or kde or razorqt remember xfce use gtk and other use qt
it is better convert only the txz packages or you can use the sbo build if you have to use software, btw that is my choice

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#3 by francois » 23 Sep 2014, 13:51

5. cairo-dock slackware:
http://porteus-apps.org/slackware/slack ... 6-1_fs.tgz
7. you can exchange xfce for kde or mate in the base folder, then in command line use:
init 3
startx

You should be back in the other environment. :)
Last edited by francois on 23 Sep 2014, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 23 Sep 2014, 13:54

Jacoby59 wrote:1. My time region in Porteus is set correctly, yet the clock in the panel is 6 hours behind. I right-clicked>properties on the clock, hoping to be able to adjust the time, but there isn't an option for that. There isn't a Time & Date Settings in Settings Manager either.
This thread may help: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 812#p25812
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 23 Sep 2014, 17:37

1. The next release candidate of Porteus is dues out soon. RazorQT and lxde have merged into one so it may pay to wait for this version.
2. http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/theming (Add the code to /home/guest/.gtkrc-2.0)
3. Copy one of the /usr/share/applications/xxxxx.desktop files to your desktop and modify the Exec= line to start your script.
As guest in a terminal:

Code: Select all

cp /usr/share/applications/gftp.desktop /home/guest/Desktop
OLD=$(grep "Exec=" /home/guest/Desktop/gftp.desktop)
NEW="Exec=openvpn-gui"
sed -i "s/$OLD/$NEW/g" /home/guest/Desktop/gftp.desktop
7. Download just the desktop module from: http://download.porteus.org/i486/current/modules/ and place this in your porteus/optional folder. Now assuming you have 003-xfce.xzm in your porteus/base folder (your default desktop) ... you can boot into a different desktop by pressing TAB at the boot screen and typing: noload=xfce load=kde
The noload and load cheatcodes can also be put into the boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg file if you don't want to type them all the time.
8. There may be dependency issues.
9. Most usable nautilii will be based on latest versions which may not run in Porteus. I am not positive on this though as I haven't tried it. They will no doubt require a lot of recent gnome3 dependencies.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Jacoby59
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.0 RazorQT

Re: [Solved] A Number of Problems/Questions

Post#6 by Jacoby59 » 23 Sep 2014, 18:14

Thanks everyone! Instead of creating a new topic, I decided to add yet another question (number 10) which I forgot to add earlier. I hope you can help me out on this one as well! Thanks :)