Get help with XFCE specific problems
iolalog
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.1 XFCE 64bit

[SOLVED] Automounting removable drives in thunar - error

Post#1 by iolalog » 09 Oct 2013, 22:11

Hi guys

When I try the "Browse Network" button in Thunar, I get the error described here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... y%3A#p6615

"Failed to open "network:///". DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)."

Is this a known error? Workaround?

My system information:
Porteus-v2.1
Kernel: 3.9.11-porteus
XFCE desktop
Booting from USB stick
Last edited by iolalog on 12 Oct 2013, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Olav

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Automounting removable drives in thunar - error

Post#2 by brokenman » 09 Oct 2013, 22:37

The first stop should be installing samba so you can see network shares. After this, start thunar via a console and report back any errors it spits out and upload a dump of: xpsinfo to pastebin and post the link here.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

iolalog
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.1 XFCE 64bit

Post#3 by iolalog » 09 Oct 2013, 22:57

Guess I should have stayed in the newbie forum a little longer... :)

After installing Samba all worked well. Thanks! I had looked at Samba before, but from the description it sounded like it's mission was to add network shares, not access them.

Two things I would wish for as a newbie then:
1. Having Thunar spit out an error that makes sense ("Please add Samba or other relevant network package to browse the network." for instance).
2. Adding a FAQ, guide, tips or similar to the website to alert newbies to this requirement. For me, being able to browse a network is not optional functionality, so having to install a package for it is unnatural.

I did actually search the forum first, but no easy to understand "Samba is required to browse the network" threads stood out to me. Anyway, this is just meant as constructive criticism, as I love the simplicity of Porteus so far!

Now, off to try and figure out how to add an additional desktop environment... (couldn't see a guide at the website for that either)
Olav

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 10 Oct 2013, 01:19

I agree the error message is cryptic and not at all obvious. Samba is quite a heavy package so most Porteus desktops don't include it.
Now, off to try and figure out how to add an additional desktop environment
I've included samba in the MATE desktop but it is a stripped down version so not all advanced functionality will work.

To add another desktop you can download it from here (64bit) and place the module in your porteus/optional folder on the device where porteus is installed.
You then need to edit the boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg file and add: noload=xfce load=mate
You can also just hit TAB when you get to the Porteus boot menu and manually add this string.

Good luck
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.