kde 5 plasma: kdenlive and video editing tweaking

Get help with KDE specific problems
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#1 by francois » 19 Jul 2017, 15:46

This topic about kdenlive has been split from an old thread http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 2&start=45

kdenlive installed under kde plasma with usm, only missing package was mlt. However at first use kdenlive complained of missing:
avformat module (ffmpeg)
dv module (libdv)
dvgrap
dvdauthor

I have a general interest into the video editing. My present objective is to be able to view karaté an aikido videos of mouvements in slow motion (kata and bunkai analysis).

1.0 I have not found a way to set them on. As kdenlive complains of missing avformat module ffmpeg, I can see that ffmpeg is there. So what is missing?

2.0 In addition, I have been unable to load in kdenlive video files not in the kdenlive format. Kino was great for that.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#2 by wread » 23 Jul 2017, 16:05

To get kdenlive working I needed all these dependencies...do you have them all installed?
Check this

Enjoy!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by francois » 23 Jul 2017, 16:23

Thanks wread. Finally, I am opting for shotcut SHOTCUT: flexible, intuitive video editor, kino's follower

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by francois » 23 Jul 2017, 20:50

Hello wread. Would you be a contendent to maintain the kde plasma desktop?

alienbob
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware

Post#5 by alienbob » 24 Jul 2017, 20:41

<RANT>
The thing with Porteus is that the question to "maintain the kde plasma desktop" in fact means, "download the hard work by alienbob and create Porteus modules out of it without giving credit".
I used to be a fan of porteus but it really saddens me to see how people hack together modules from randomly downloaded Slackware packages and then dismiss the software because "kdenlive complained of missing:
avformat module". Do your research, use the correct packages so you can offer a software that works, and start giving credit to the people who do the work for you. I want to stress that these binaries are almost all GPL-ed code, which requires you to make the source code available to whoever wants to use the binaries. I can't find source code anywhere on the Porteus web site.
Do you guys actually understand how these packages are built?
</RANT>
Sorry, I had to get this out of my system.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by francois » 25 Jul 2017, 00:31

@alienbob:
Sorry if you currently feel unrecognized thru our writings on KDE. This is really not meant. Without your hard work there would be no KDE for porteus and Slackware users.

Have a look here about SHOTUT SHOTCUT: flexible, intuitive video editor, kino's follower

Personally you have all my admiration and respect, and from what I know from our forum members. :)

More specifically for myself, you are completely right, the research might have been too superficial as you know best, and a lot of people with fewer time on Linux forum would do better than I do. But this is me: perfectible.

Finally, the problem is not on the binaries that you build, but the capacity of our package manager (USM) sometimes to get them together. But this is no excuse. :wink:

And you are right we do not maintain, but simply download and adapt to the porteus distribution. Forgive my approximate use of Shakespeare idioma. Your contribution and the GPL should be clearly recognized without doubt.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#7 by Ed_P » 25 Jul 2017, 03:48

alienbob wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 20:41
<RANT>
The thing with Porteus is that the question to "maintain the kde plasma desktop" in fact means, "download the hard work by alienbob and create Porteus modules out of it without giving credit".
hmmm Sorry you feel that way. And I'm reasonably sure that is not the intent of the admins. How can this be resolved? What kind of credit would you like from someone who downloads one of your apps? I for one download your Flashplayer module every month.

And BTW the USM Flashplayer module's name ends in alien.xzm, if that helps.
</RANT>
No. I don't. I appreciate it that they are build but know how, or understand, not so much. But who are you appealing to, the dumb noobie, the experienced pro, or the person who likes finding something that works and solves a need? I frequently use Windows and I don't understand how it is build either. Does it work on my hardware, yes. Does it do for me what I need, yes. Do I know how it is built, not so much. Do I like it, yes. Do I appreciate it, yes. Do I give it credit, no.
Ed

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#8 by Bogomips » 25 Jul 2017, 11:54

alienbob wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 20:41
If time can be spared to educate, would very much appreciate tutorial in Tutorials section from someone with their finger on the pulse. :friends:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#9 by brokenman » 25 Jul 2017, 22:57

@wread @all
Please reference alienbob's KDE5 work when creating any form of Porteus that uses the KDE5 environment. I haven't as yet looked at wread's version of this but I will most certainly include reference in the current version if I decide to make it a part of Porteus. He deserves credit for the work he does.

In relation to making the source code for Porteus available, I believe I've answered this question a few times before. All code is freely available. The complete build system was made available not long ago.
I want to stress that these binaries are almost all GPL-ed code, which requires you to make the source code available to whoever wants to use the binaries. I can't find source code anywhere on the Porteus web site.
I have to admit I am a little lost here. In one breath you fall slightly short of accusing us of ripping off other people's work, but in the next breath, you say that we need to provide the source code for said work. Do I misunderstand something?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#10 by wread » 27 Jul 2017, 18:42

@Brokenman, @francois
You don't have to worry: In the future I will submit all sources of the modules I build with references to the authors. Or, maybe better: we can build from KDE sources, or not?

BTW, in the new face of the forum there are no "XZM Team" members. Maybe I am fired for cooking my own coffee?

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#11 by brokenman » 30 Jul 2017, 14:15

BTW, in the new face of the forum there are no "XZM Team" members. Maybe I am fired for cooking my own coffee?
No certainly not Wread, in fact I encourage it!

We can certainly build it from sources given the time. I assume nobody wants to reinvent the wheel though. Alienbob does great work and is just asking for a little recognition, albeit in an unfavourable tone.

Question for Alienbob ...
Does your slackware live version not use the work of others? The only difference I see is that we use a different compression for the packages.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#12 by wread » 01 Aug 2017, 12:25

@brokenman
Don't be so hard, Jay!
But in fact, I have decompressed some slackware live modules using Porteus tools :lol: They have only a different extension...

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#13 by beny » 01 Aug 2017, 19:48

hi wread, well try to change kernel version in slacklive....