KDE4-apps just dissappear

Get help with KDE specific problems
mr_hero
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Re: KDE4-apps just dissappear

Post#31 by mr_hero » 02 Aug 2014, 15:44

Well...I'm not surprised you can't re-create the problem on your machine. It must be something in one of the modules or in the changes-folder. I have 111 modules in use (mainly because of the dependencies). The bug can be everywhere. Strange thing is the problem comes and goes. This time after bootup, the icons are present again. Maybe I should mention that my soundcard (sound blaster x-fi) shows the same behavior: Sometimes it works after bootup, sometimes it doesn't.

So everytime I boot up porteus I have to cross my fingers if the desktops AND soundcard will work. I installed alsa-plugins and maybe something else because my x-fi didn't work at all on a fresh porteus-install. When I connect / disconnect some device (e.g USB-stick) I often get a message on screen that some unused soundcard-entries got dismissed. The same message often occur after bootup (no matter if sound is working this time or not).

Not sure but maybe this problem is related to the icon-trouble somehow because of the strange behavior (working/not working after reboot). Of course a fresh porteus would solve the icon problem and disable the soundcard again. But that's pretty useless. :wall:

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#32 by brokenman » 02 Aug 2014, 20:01

It must be something in one of the modules or in the changes-folder. I have 111 modules in use
This is what Fanthom means by stock. Remove all your additions for testing. It would be near impossible to trouble shoot your problem with 111 modules to think about. :wall:
please use stock KDE4 modules (no xzms added on your side) + changes
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

mr_hero
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#33 by mr_hero » 03 Aug 2014, 01:20

Still don't get it. I'm really sorry. Running porteus fresh will of course work. I can confirm that I didn't have this problem at the beginning, before I installed modules. So rolling back everything will work of course...but then all my progs are gone. :no: ...and I can't use my soundcard again.

Does nobody have a clue what modules could be suspicious? I tried deactivating all modules with kde in name. No sucess. What else could I try? Maybe mono-stuff...or here I see two modules with something about "sharp". Could some logfile give me further clues? Actually the question is what are the dependencies for the kde4-desktop? So I can guess the faulty module, injecting bad files into kde. E.g. it's unlikely modules like nano or audacity are causing the trouble.

I also can narrow the problem down to some of the newer modules because the problem came up somewhere within the last two weeks. Hence my suspicion it was the kde4-compat-libs from this threat.

So according to the date...this limits the the suspicious modules to 45 "only", I added within this time. Still quiet a lot to test individually though.