Porteus-v3.2.2 bug reports here

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#211 by donald » 08 Aug 2017, 20:31

I had the same problem with some man files (nvidia)
I could read them if i did a "export MANPATH=/usr/share/man/" for example.

But because this is only a temporary solution, i added the needed path in:
/etc/profile at the "export MANPATH=" line

port
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux porteus 3.2.2 KDE

Post#212 by port » 09 Aug 2017, 07:00

yes, that's a solution, thanks to point it out. But the bug itself is man seems not to follow the settings in its own config file etc.conf. You shouldn't have to use that workaround because man should read properly etc.conf and update MANPATH consistently

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#213 by donald » 09 Aug 2017, 15:21

Hello port

Out of curiosity i commented out the MANPATH line in /etc/profile > log out/in >
"echo $MANPATH" shows nothing now > copied some man files (folder) into /usr/local/share, and BINGO they were displayed.
(and also the nvidia man files which were not displayed previously)

Please test by yourself - It looks like the MANPATH setting in /etc/profile is the culprit.

port
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux porteus 3.2.2 KDE

Post#214 by port » 09 Aug 2017, 17:12

donald wrote:
09 Aug 2017, 15:21
Out of curiosity i commented out the MANPATH line in /etc/profile > log out/in >
"echo $MANPATH" shows nothing now > copied some man files (folder) into /usr/local/share, and BINGO they were displayed.
(and also the nvidia man files which were not displayed previously)

Please test by yourself - It looks like the MANPATH setting in /etc/profile is the culprit.
bingo! culprit located! thanks donald! now man reads properly the man.conf file and sets up MANPATH according to it.

Program man has a priority when looking for man pages and one of the highest one is environment var MANPATH, if it is set it will use whatever it points to. Since MANPATH was being setting up in /etc/profile it doesn't matter what /etc/man.conf established, even when man was correctly reading /etc/man.conf and adding paths and maps stated there, as there was a MANPATH env var stablished man only used that

so, with current /etc/profile setting up MANPATH you always has the path for man pages hardcoded:

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ /usr/bin/man -w
/usr/local/man:/usr/man
while commenting it out you get what is stablished in /etc/man.conf:

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ /usr/bin/man -w
/opt/jdk/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/X11R6/man
Probably there would be a good reason to setting MANPATH hardcoded in /etc/profile but I cannot see it, the right place to set man paths and maps is /etc/man.conf so I recommend to comment or remove the setting of MANPATH in /etc/profile, unless somebody give a reason not to do it

lukaluki
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#215 by lukaluki » 27 Aug 2017, 21:04

exFAT is still not supported by default ? I am not a pro linux user but want to use exFAT format because a USB Stick can also be used in Android devices. Bur Porteus can not boot exFAT sticks.