Porteus -v3.2 final

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Porteus -v3.2 final

Post#61 by fulalas » 14 Nov 2016, 02:29

brokenman wrote:I'm not sure why I can't get it to fail in any way.

The unrar version in the ISOs on the server are unrar-5.4.5
Well, here if I type 'unrar' in a terminal, I see just this: UNRAR 5.40 freeware Copyright (c) 1993-2016 Alexander Roshal

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#62 by brokenman » 14 Nov 2016, 03:56

Well, here if I type 'unrar' in a terminal, I see just this: UNRAR 5.40
Me too. I've never noticed it before. It was compiled from slackware sources. You can check it in /var/log/packages
Anyway, since bogomips, donald and yourself have confirmed that the same version from another repository works for you guys, I will replace it with that version.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#63 by fulalas » 14 Nov 2016, 19:13

A couple of new bugs I discovered recently, still on 3.2 final first release :D

1- if you boot with a Xbox joystick connected, it can't be detected. But once inside Porteus if you unplug and plug it again, then it works.
2- sometimes I lost ethernet connection and I have to disable network and re-enable it again.
3- sometimes if you copy a xzm package and right click on the new copy will create a 7z package for free :D
4- really, really weird: Nvidia OpenGL stops working because of broken symlinks/libraries, so I have to copy them again or reboot. Or... I'm testing right now: changing guest access to these symlinks/libraries to readonly. EDITED: it doesn't work. The problem is related to libGL and I can't detect who is overwriting it :( RE-EDITED: OK, so I've figured out who is the guilty: xzm module activation. No matter what's inside the module, just activate a xzm module and libGL symlinks (libGL.so and libGL.so.1) start to point to libGL.so.1.2.0 (native driver) instead of libGL.so.1.0.0 (from Nvidia driver). Oddly, the modules loaded during boot don't cause any problem at all.
5- sometimes a random disk isn't automatically mounted/shortcuted after boot.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#64 by brokenman » 14 Nov 2016, 23:57

I was finally able to reproduce the unrar problem on a machine at work today. Looks like a processor instruction error. I will replace it with the slackonly compiled version.

Fulalas can you upload a system information dump from within porteus-settings-centre (under the information tab). I'd like to inspect the wifi problem. Regarding the nVidia driver problem, every time you activate a module ldconfig is run. Perhaps you can try just running this and seeing if it reproduces the problem you are having.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#65 by fulalas » 15 Nov 2016, 00:18

brokenman wrote:I was finally able to reproduce the unrar problem on a machine at work today. Looks like a processor instruction error. I will replace it with the slackonly compiled version.
Great! :)
brokenman wrote:Fulalas can you upload a system information dump from within porteus-settings-centre (under the information tab). I'd like to inspect the wifi problem.
Is not a wifi, but ethernet wired. I'll do this when the problem appears again -- let's hope it'll fear our intentions and doesn't come back anymore. :D
brokenman wrote:Regarding the nVidia driver problem, every time you activate a module ldconfig is run. Perhaps you can try just running this and seeing if it reproduces the problem you are having.
I can't find any 'ldconfig' here :(

Beginning with ld I only have this:

Code: Select all

ld           ldapcompare  ldapmodrdn   ldapwhoami   ldbmodify    
ld.bfd       ldapdelete   ldappasswd   ldbadd       ldbrename    
ld.gold      ldapexop     ldapsearch   ldbdel       ldbsearch    
ldapadd      ldapmodify   ldapurl      ldbedit      ldd 
EDITED: OK, I've figured out that I have to run in as root. The output is this:

ldconfig: /usr/lib64/libGLESv2.so.2 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib64/libGLESv1_CM.so.1 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib64/libEGL.so.1 is not a symbolic link
The funny thing is that it complains about some OpenGL libs, but mess with others :D

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#66 by donald » 15 Nov 2016, 03:00

There are some minor flaws within the german localization.

Folders in /home/guest are not replaced but additional ones are created.
Documents + Dokumente
Pictures + Bilder
Templates + Vorlagen etc. (all with different Icons).

Some translations are somehow confusing (e.g. Thunar icons)
One does not know anymore which does what.
For example
Thunar (Root user) is translated to Dateimanager Thunar
should /could be Thunar (Root)

Thunar File Manager translated to Thunar-Dateiverwaltung
imho better to Thunar Dateimanager

This can easily be done by changing the contents of the appropriate
desktop file in /usr/share/applications.
Open with text editor, search and replace the translated "de" string.
========================================
btw
even with the working (slackonly) unrar 5.4.5 module it reports to be UNRAR 5.40
========================================
EDIT
System > Bundles icon
It needs root permission to be executed but didn't ask for nor gives a message.
The gtk-bundles-live File is only downloaded into /tmp but can not be moved
into /usr/local/bin/ and executed.
Last edited by donald on 15 Nov 2016, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#67 by fulalas » 15 Nov 2016, 05:17

OK, so here's the thing:

I rebooted in text mode with devel, blacklist and crippled_sources, and ran Nvidia driver setup. After the installation, I typed save-changes, put the xzm module in a non-volatile folder and then init 4. So far so good. I even ran ldconfig on a terminal and nothing weird happened with the OpenGL symlinks.

Then I copied the xzm module I've just created (with the modifications Nvidia did) to my USB stick and rebooted. The driver was loaded successfully and glxgears ran without any problem. But... if I run ldconfig, OpenGL symlinks get messed! :(

I'm completely lost.

EDITED: I think I've figured out. It seems that ldconfig likes to point always to the newest libs, and Porteus comes with libGL.so.1.2.0 out of the box, but Nvidia driver comes with libGL.so.1.0.0. So everytime ldconfig runs it repoints the symlink (libGL.so.1) to libGL.so.1.2.0 which isn't the Nvidia driver! My dirt solution: create a copy of Nvidia lib and rename it to libGL.so.1.2.0 and put inside the xzm module so during the boot Porteus overwrites its lib with mine. It's working, but maybe there's a better solution. As I could see, Nvidia driver setup simply removes libGL.so.1.2.0 :D

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#68 by donald » 15 Nov 2016, 07:11

Not a bug....an omission., :wink:
Clipboard checksum
verify md5sums for downloaded files

I really miss this "custom action" in Thunar.

The clipsum script is in /opt/porteus-scripts/context-menu/
Only the custom action has not been made, so just make a new one and insert this command line:
/opt/porteus-scripts/context-menu/clipsum %f
to get this useful option.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#69 by brokenman » 15 Nov 2016, 14:07

Folders in /home/guest are not replaced but additional ones are created.
Thanks. I'll take a look at this.

Thunar (Root user) is translated to Dateimanager Thunar

What translation would you use in german? This is a difficult one because I am sure the english word 'root' doesn't translate well in most languages.

The gtk-bundles-live File is only downloaded into /tmp but can not be moved
into /usr/local/bin/ and executed.

Thanks. I had already discovered this and fixed ithere.

verify md5sums for downloaded files
I really miss this "custom action" in Thunar.
The clipsum script is in /opt/porteus-scripts/context-menu/
Only the custom action has not been made, so just make a new one and insert this command line:
/opt/porteus-scripts/context-menu/clipsum %f
to get this useful option.

Thanks

Fulalas,
Using the changes-time script is probably not fully reliable here. Perhaps some files timestamps are not updated or changed. I will dig up an older script to see how it handles it. Perhaps Blaze could share how he created this driver previously?

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#70 by Falcony » 15 Nov 2016, 14:57

brokenman

Strange - no announcements for 3.2 - but I use it. :)
Please look up here.
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 403#p50403

I could not say it is bugs - better to say it some of my wishes for updates in new ver. - if you think it good for all porteus users .

Regarding bugs - module for Oracle Virtual Box seems builded with old kernel.
But I think you know about it, :)

jssouza
Legendary
Legendary
Distribution: Porteus x86 arm

Post#71 by jssouza » 15 Nov 2016, 15:16

brokenman wrote:What translation would you use in german? This is a difficult one because I am sure the english word 'root' doesn't translate well in most languages.
Maybe use the translation of "System Administrator"? On a Slackware with locale=de_CH.utf8 (Swiss German) opening Thunar as root shows the orange warning banner as: "Achtung, Sie benutzen das Systemverwalterkonto..."
On Porteus XFCE with the US locale it is "Warning, you are using the root account..."

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#72 by fulalas » 15 Nov 2016, 16:08

brokenman wrote:Using the changes-time script is probably not fully reliable here. Perhaps some files timestamps are not updated or changed. I will dig up an older script to see how it handles it. Perhaps Blaze could share how he created this driver previously?
I think the problem isn't related to save-changes, because it really gets all the changes Nvidia driver setup does. But there's this specific file that it removes, and as far as I understand save-changes can't keep a remove info by definition, right?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#73 by brokenman » 15 Nov 2016, 16:25

Thanks Falcony. I am addressing some of these issues now. I found the fix for ISO files not displaying in mc.
and as far as I understand save-changes can't keep a remove info by definition, right?
Correct. Perhaps find a v3.1 Porteus and take a look at the update-vbox script there. It was originally written to handle graphics drivers too, but removed from the final version. The code is still there though.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#74 by Blaze » 15 Nov 2016, 17:09

Hi, fulalas.
You are forgot to clean nvidia module via my script.
Look at this topic http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5858 (Russian) and this post (English)
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#75 by Ed_P » 15 Nov 2016, 18:49

FWIW

Shouldn't

Announcement: The Porteus Development Team is proud to announce the immediate availability of Porteus Desktop 3.1 and 
now be

Announcement: The Porteus Development Team is proud to announce the immediate availability of Porteus Desktop 3.2
?
Ed