locales-de_DE.utf8-i486.xzm does not show German KDE menues?

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Syntux
White ninja
White ninja

locales-de_DE.utf8-i486.xzm does not show German KDE menues?

Post#1 by Syntux » 27 Jun 2011, 13:47

The package locales-de_DE.utf8-i486.xzm that was created from the language selection tool in Porteus 1.0 32-Bit does not show any German menues in neither KDE itself, nor in any apps.
Don't know why this is, since the created package for 64-Bit works fine in Porteus 1.0 64-Bit?!

Verfasst after 14 hours 35 minutes:
For some reasons it seems to be a problem when I have some config files in /guest/home/.kde./share/config?

Without it the language in the KDE menues seems to work also Okay in the 32-Bit version.

Can somebody say, how KDE knows which language files to use and where are all the generic-user defaults saved?

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: locales-de_DE.utf8-i486.xzm does not show German KDE men

Post#2 by Ahau » 27 Jun 2011, 14:33

I'm not entirely sure about this one -- maybe brokenman can help when gets back (he'd be the expert on Trinity). My guess is that you've got a language config file from the language selection tool that is telling KDE to use german, but it gets overridden by a config file in your saved changes that is telling KDE to use english. Since saved changes are applied after modules during the boot process, the german file in your live system gets replaced with english. You did a very good job of tracking down the problem! To double check, reboot into 'Always Fresh' mode with the german language module in /porteus/modules, and if german is working fine, then we know that's the problem.

Try deleting the /guest/home/.kde./share/config file in your changes (if you're using a .dat container then boot into always fresh mode and use mloop to mount your container, then cd to /mnt/loop/home/guest/.kde/share/). If that's the only file setting the language for the menu, then it should pick up the German language from the LST module the next time you boot up with your saved changes.

@fanthom and brokenman -- any way to modify LST to prevent this from happening (assuming I understand the problem)?
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Syntux
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by Syntux » 27 Jun 2011, 17:45

Hello Ahau,

you were right. I still had a file in /guest/home/.kde./share/config/kdeglobals that had an entry lang=en_US and caused the menues to show in English, despite the resource files.

I just wonder from where KDE/Trinity takes the default files and settings for all users?

Thanx,
Syntux

feng
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#4 by feng » 05 Feb 2012, 15:43

Hi Syntux!

----------I`m talking about the way in porteus v1.1 right now

you need to download the following files

http://www.slackware.org.il/slackware/s ... arch-1.tgz
http://www.slackware.org.il/slackware/s ... arch-1.tgz

and then, run the command tgz2xzm to convert those 2 files to .xzm

Code: Select all

tgz2xzm kde-i18n-de-3.5.10-noarch-1.tgz kde-i18n-de-3.5.10-noarch-1.xzm

tgz2xzm koffice-l10n-de-1.6.3-noarch-1.tgz koffice-l10n-de-1.6.3-noarch-1.xzm
and then, copy 2 .xzm to your modules directory, and reboot.

hope it helps.