Bug in Porteus 3.1 EXIT cheatcode

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Bug in Porteus 3.1 EXIT cheatcode

Post#16 by brokenman » 23 Jan 2016, 02:23

make_iso.sh should include all folders already in the root of the ISO. Does the original ISO have this EFI folder? If not then perhaps you can procure it from the iso existing on the server.

http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/current/

Once that folder is in the root it should produce an EFI bootable ISO. Please test from a FAT32 formatted USB to make sure it works before moving onto installing frugally with EFI.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

rchase
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc3 xfce

Post#17 by rchase » 23 Jan 2016, 03:00

OK, I will retrieve the EFI folder from the installation flash, update the iso from the Porteus installation on my Satellite, put the iso on a FAT32-formatted flash drive in Windows, and stick the EFI folder in the root -- I finally managed to get the files requested for diagnosis off the flash installation being tested on my Celeron M; attempting to use "cp _file_ /dev/sdb1" and "cp _file_ /dev/sdc1" corrupted the installation drive and another, ext2-formatted flash drive, respectively -- I gather that it is requisite to mount flash drives to some directory in this context, but what just happened? The cp command command gave no error (as it corrupted the drives).

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#18 by rchase » 23 Jan 2016, 05:31

I'll go back to posting about my woes with the Kangaroo on the already open thread in Newbie Questions. No go; xorg still failed to start with the new kernel. Guess I'll try Nemesis 3.5 again.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#19 by brokenman » 23 Jan 2016, 21:17

The cp command command gave no error (as it corrupted the drives).
It is highly unlikely that cp can corrupt your drive. Perhaps if the powercut mid copy or the drive somehow unmounted mid copy. I know that you feel certain that cp DID corrupt your drive but in the history of Porteus this is the first I have heard.

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#20 by rchase » 23 Jan 2016, 23:33

brokenman wrote:
The cp command command gave no error (as it corrupted the drives).
It is highly unlikely that cp can corrupt your drive. Perhaps if the powercut mid copy or the drive somehow unmounted mid copy. I know that you feel certain that cp DID corrupt your drive but in the history of Porteus this is the first I have heard.
Linux continues to be extremely mysterious to me. I recounted what I did minutely. Aus9 seemed exasperated that I had attempted to "cp" directly to /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1, and Bogomips used a mount point in his example, but no one yet has directly asserted that using "mount" and "cp" in the manner I did was wrong, or that it is to do something other than what I thought it would. All I know is that "mount /dev/sdc1" followed by "cp /root/xorg.conf.new /dev/sdc1" corrupted a freshly ext2-formatted flash drive -- I had just prepared the drive on another Porteus installation using Gparted and did nothing else to it besides those two commands. This exactly what had happened when I tried to "cp" to the root of /sdb1 on the previous run: the FAT32 drive I had just booted (in fresh mode, of course) Porteus on would no longer boot and was no longer formatted FAT32. Neither drive was pulled while any writing was taking place and the commands listed completed without any error message. It should be extremely easy for you doubters to reproduce! As I indicated before, I don't believe that copying into the root of the drive rather than a folder has anything to do with it; all that did was indicate that there is some SNAFU going on, because "mount /dev/sdc1" followed by "cp /root/xorg.conf.new /dev/sdc1/test" did throw an error, so the drive did not get corrupted; it was on that pass that I remounted /dev/sdc1 to /mnt first and successfully copied the files to it.

I wouldn't mind knowing how to use basic Linux commands, but based on the exchange about my attempted use of them, I am not acquiring much: don't attempt to use "mount" and "cp" without mounting to a directory first seems to be the only lesson, but the whys and wherefores remain obscure. I will be sure to do it that way henceforth, without expecting to know why. This is some digression from the task of obtaining copies of /root/xorg.conf.new and /var/log/Xorg.0.log and analyzing them! I would like to resolve whether the savage driver can be made to work with my ProSavageDDR or not and await further instructions or suggestions.
Last edited by rchase on 25 Jan 2016, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#21 by brokenman » 23 Jan 2016, 23:49

don't attempt to use "mount" and "cp" without mounting to a directory first seems to be the only lesson
That really is about all there is to it. If you want to copy files to a partition you can only do so to the mount point (/mnt) and NOT directly onto the block device.

/dev/sdc is a special block device. You can check this from a terminal: file /dev/sdc1
The mount command mounts a partition to this special block device. You can copy files onto the partition but not onto the block device. In the future (unless you are keen to learn command line options) it is probably safer to use a GUI file manager to copy files if one is available. This will remove the chance that you can attempt to copy directly to a block device. To be honest I only caught on that this was the problem in the last post of yours in another thread. I have never attempted to copy files directly onto a block device but I assume the console would spew errors if this was done.

I am following that thread and will help out when and where I feel I can offer something useful.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#22 by Bogomips » 24 Jan 2016, 00:11

brokenman wrote: To be honest I only caught on that this was the problem in the last post of yours in another thread. I have never attempted to copy files directly onto a block device but I assume the console would spew errors if this was done.
Came across a discussion somewher as to whether it was better to do a cp or a dd to a block device, and the gist of it was that a cp (nowadays having increased functionality) would be a better bet.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#23 by donald » 24 Jan 2016, 01:22

@rchase
Partitions and Filesystems
first you have a partition on your device.If you want to store Files on that partition
you need a filesystem (e.g.FAT32)
In linux you need to mount that filesystem to make it accessible.
(mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/sdXY)
now you can copy Files to /mnt/sdXY
but you --> attempted to "cp" directly to /dev/sdb1 <-- which means you are writing directly to a partition.
A partition starts with the Filesystem (Fat32) header -- The header is now gone.
now you have a undetectable (RAW) filesystem.
Linux doesn't stop you from doing this but you have to be root, what should be a Warning.
In the future, use mount to associate drives with directories ("mount points"),
then access those directories.

aus9

Post#24 by aus9 » 24 Jan 2016, 09:21

On another post he is trying to get an xorg.conf using root powers but has not yet shown he has completed the homework assignment
:(
homework number 2 for rchase
input these terms into duckduckgo and read them and then demonstrate he has understood them please.
linux wiki mount
but I am disappointed he has not returned his first homework assignment.

I am not disappointed he has changed my suggested commands to his.....as that is merely a inference by me that he does not understand mount.

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#25 by rchase » 24 Jan 2016, 20:39

Thanks -- so long as some useful purpose is served in using "cp" to copy directly to the device, it makes sense that no errors were flagged.

Aus9, you were assisting me in getting an old machine to boot, you requested /root/xorg.conf.new, Bogomips suggested /var/log/Xorg.0.log too; both have been posted and I grasp the distinction between mounting a device and a file system on the device.

aus9

Post#26 by aus9 » 24 Jan 2016, 23:51

thanks I will check

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

"changes=EXIT:" problem

Post#27 by neko » 09 Feb 2016, 04:36

There is the issue in manipulating the data that has the name including space characters.

-----------------------------------
initrd.xz@linuxrc: line 246

Code: Select all

for x in `find /memory/changes -name ".wh.*" | grep -v '.wh..wh..opq'`; do cp -a --parents $x /var; done
initrd.xz@cleanup: line 40,41

for x in `find $FOLDERS -name ".wh.*" 2>/dev/null | sed s/.wh.//g`; do test -e $MNAME/$x && rm -rf $MNAME/$x; done
for x in `find $MNAME -name ".wh.*" 2>/dev/null`; do wh=`echo $x | sed -e s^$MNAME^^g -e s/.wh.//g`; test -e $wh && rm $x; done
NG data example:

/home/guest/.config/google-chrome/Default/Local Extension Settings/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/.wh.000099.log
correct example:

for x in `find /memory/changes -name ".wh.*" | grep -v '.wh..wh..opq' | tr ' ' '@' `; do x=`echo $x | tr '@' ' ' `; cp -a --parents "$x" /var; done

for x in `find $FOLDERS -name ".wh.*" 2>/dev/null | sed s/.wh.//g | tr ' ' '@'`; do x=`echo $x | tr '@' ' ' `; test -e $MNAME/"$x" && rm -rf $MNAME/"$x"; done
for x in `find $MNAME -name ".wh.*" 2>/dev/null | tr ' ' '@'`; do x=`echo $x | tr '@' ' ' `; wh=`echo $x | sed -e s^$MNAME^^g -e s/.wh.//g`; test -e "$wh" && rm "$x"; done
Thanks.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#28 by brokenman » 09 Feb 2016, 15:53

Thanks Neko! You're awesome.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#29 by Ed_P » 23 Feb 2016, 04:36

brokenman wrote:I've uploaded the updated 64bit kernel and 000-kernel.xzm module here. It is kernel 4.4 LTS.
I rebuilt my LXQT 3.1 iso with these files using the steps I spoke about here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... =30#p31112, basically I used ISO Master

The ISO does boot but the problem I experienced with 3.1 initially was it didn't suspend when my netbook's lid was closed and that problem still exists with this update. In addition with this update I loose my Wi-Fi support.
I would also recommend downloading the latest xf86-input-synaptics package from slackware-current
http://packages.slackware.com/
I did not do this. Not sure how to implement it into the ISO. Would it help with the problems noted above?
Ed