Sometimes /home/guest becomes empty

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Rico Heart
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.1 XFCE

Re: Sometimes /home/guest becomes empty

Post#16 by Rico Heart » 14 Jul 2015, 10:50

Today /home/guest became empty again, but the situation is different, so I think this is relevant.

I've stopped using copy2ram and moved all of my own files /home/guest to a separate partition. (The only non-hidden files are Desktop and a symlink to a folder on that other partition on the pendrive.)

Only Firefox was open, I was typing. Hit Ctrl-B a few times out of Emacs habit to move the cursor back, Firefox crashed and ~ was empty. A terminal ls ~ gave '/bin/ls: reading directory .: Input/output error'. Same thing happened after a reboot when accidentally opening a lot of new tabs in Firefox: crash, empty ~.

So it seems this issue is unrelated to the size of /home/guest, or copying, or copy2ram. (AFAIK copy2ram does not copy /home/guest into RAM.)

Maybe my new pendrive is faulty? Or too fast? I wish I understood what happens.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Re: Sometimes /home/guest becomes empty

Post#17 by tome » 15 Jul 2015, 09:35

My /home/guest was in itself larger than my RAM. I doubt that it was loaded into RAM during boot in copy2ram mode. How?
copy2ram does not copy your changes to RAM but if you use changes-ro or changes=EXIT: or don't use changes= cheatcode copied files by you in File Manager goes to RAM (inside temporary fs).
Maybe my new pendrive is faulty? Or too fast? I wish I understood what happens.
I have had similar problem with my sdcard - it was mounted and unmounted while copying many files, so I couldn't copy my files without errors :( - but it was only on my older laptop, on newer one everything was correct.

You should try fsck cheatcode and another pendrive.
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.