Clock settings - Speaking package

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Clock settings - Speaking package

Post#1 by miguipda » 10 Nov 2013, 15:05

Hi,

I changed my clock settings by activating the speaking checkbox. But when arrived the hour (I selected to tell me what time is it for each hour) it just displayed a popup window telling me it can not play the "Jovie" service due to the fact it does not find the kttsd.

Then I tried to see if the kttsd module exist in the PPM but did not find it.

Then could you please check this to allow our clock telling us what time is it (due to the fact it is an available option on the settings). Perhaps is it needed to modify a base module to integrate it inside.

Sincerely thanks and have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Clock settings - Speaking package

Post#2 by fanthom » 10 Nov 2013, 20:40

this feature requires 'jovie' (text to speech application) which has few dependencies and i did not include them by default as i dont think many users would benefit from it.
please run any other KDE4 distro (Kubuntu?) in Vbox and see if you are happy with this service (nothing ground shaking in my opinion). if yes then i could provide jovie+deps through PPM.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by miguipda » 11 Nov 2013, 08:48

Dear Fanthom,

as I already used Kubuntu many year ago since I discovered Porteus I do not really want to change this distribution I use.

Then even if nothing is done to give us the possibility to use vocal service (jovie) I will not stop to use Porteus and will disable the use of this Jovie service.

Sincerely thanks and have a nice day ;-)

Miguipda ;-)

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#4 by wread » 11 Nov 2013, 11:24

The best thing would be to tweak the source of "Digital Clock Settings>General>Text to Speech" so that it appears in gray=inactive or better eliminate the feature Text to Speech at all, and compile it again :)
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!