Porteus 64 v2.1 - Big Bug at boot (without ethernet)

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Porteus 64 v2.1 - Big Bug at boot (without ethernet)

Post#1 by miguipda » 04 Nov 2013, 15:50

Hi,

I just installed the last v2.1 (64 bits) on my computer en I encounter this specific problem.

1) I I start at the same time my modem then my router then my computer I get a kerne panic on my computer. If I start the computer again (without touch my modem and my router) I get a red cross on my (desired KDE environment) Home plasmoid Folder View but it correctly display the other plasmoid Folder View I do on my desktop.

2) If I start the computer without connecting it to my router (or if the modem and router are switched off) I get a black screen. When I kill (Ctrl + Alt + Del) my X environment then it display the default desktop wallpaper without anything else. But when I connect my computer to the connected (to internet) router and modem then the rest of the desktop appears correctly.

3) If I wait that modem and router has finished their boot normally I may start my computer without any problem and get the desktop as requested.

I also discovered that the new v2.1 of Porteus is so slow to start until I could have the full desktop display. It is really annoying.

Then could you test it and check if it does or not need a fix on one of the main base package. Test it without an internet connection to see what happen.

Sincerely thanks and have a nice day.

Miguipda ;-)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Porteus 64 v2.1 - Big Bug at boot (without ethernet)

Post#2 by fanthom » 04 Nov 2013, 19:08

1) I I start at the same time my modem then my router then my computer I get a kerne panic on my computer.
any chance that you could take a photo and upload somewhere?

other symptoms sounds bit ridiculous. network connection should not make any effect on your plasmoids/desktop being reachable or not.
please try to recreate your issues in 'Always Fresh' mode. if you still get the same errors then try to boot with 'nonetwork' cheatcode and check if they persist.

can anybody else confirm this?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by miguipda » 05 Nov 2013, 17:54

Hi,

I know it sound a bit ridicoulus and it was why I first tried some ideas that did not give me enough solution aspect I decided to share this problem with you.
It is also not interesting to be considered as ridicoulus we may already feel but well by just trying to understand what happen.

I also tried this that may perhaps give you some ideas.
Even if it stay with only the wallpaper I discover that I could run programs by using the Alt+F2 function. Then I ran a Konsole where I ask to startx a second time (it used the F8 terminal) but as it was also staying on the wallpaper on this F8 terminal I then killed it (Alt+Ctl+Del) and get bactk the konsole that displayed a lot of thinks but one that attract my regard. It was saying that it could not find the D-Bus ... org.freedesktop... then I presume it was what I was talking about when I said that I do not have any problem if my modem and router are first started correctly. I presume it could then find this known freedesktop (requirements) and then could normally display the geust desktop.

I will now test it as proposed in fresh mode or even the nonetwork and see what happen.

Have a nice day.

Miguipda ;-)

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#4 by miguipda » 05 Nov 2013, 18:14

Hi,

the always fresh mode start and display correctly the desktop (without any network connection). Then I did not test with the nonetwork cheat code because it shows that it could work pcorrectly.

Then I presume I have a default guest initial startup file that does not pehaps content the needed reuirements.
Then do you think that it could be solved by :
1) install back all the porteus by using the Porteus Installer
2) or how could I create back a clean guest changes to check if it comes from specific guest changes.

Let me know how could I get it back work correctly please.

Here is the first red cross expained before :
http://tinypic.com/r/2w5ufpd/5
Have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 05 Nov 2013, 21:17

this will be a long journey.

my guess is that kde4 settings got messed up so please:
- boot to text mode
- back up your existing configuration first:

Code: Select all

mv /home/guest/.kde4 /home/guest/.kde4-old/code]
- bring back original kde4 settings:
[code]cp -a /mnt/live/memory/images/003-kde.xzm/home/guest/.kde4 /home/guest
- start GUI:

Code: Select all

init 4
if everything is ok then copy configuration files one by one from /home/guest/.kde4-old to /home/guest/.kde4 and restart X serve with ctrl+alt+backspace till you find the config which is giving troubles.
i bet it's /home/guest/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc so you may start from this one.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#6 by miguipda » 07 Nov 2013, 18:53

Hi,

I am still no quiet sure but I presume I perhaps found from where does really come all the problems I share it to you through this thread.
As I installed the v2.1 on the existing v2.0 without formatting again or without removing the existing folders/files on the partition I presume it keep the existing changes and perhaps tried to use them for the new v2.1.

Then in place of playing like a D with the .kde files as proposed I will first try a new install on a really clear partition and will see if it solve it perfectly.

I will keep you informed abotu this try.

Have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#7 by miguipda » 10 Nov 2013, 15:01

Hi,

as explained I tried with a new installation after having format the partition and in fact it works correctly now except for the red cross (see image before) that still appear in the home plasmoid kde display.

Then the initial ridicoulus problem came in fact from a misuse of the user (me in this case) and not from the system (or prepared Porteus packaging) itself.

Perhaps this experience will help the administrator of Porteus to consider how the user really need a good feedback and I sincerely thank all the administrator and user of Porteus for their help. Even if we did not find the problem or even if I look like a ridicoulus user I finally recognize it came from the fact I installed the new version on a old one and then the explained problems certainly came from the fact that the system used the previous version user changes and generate those kind of border effect.

Then have a nice day and still thank you for your help.

Miguipda ;-)

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#8 by miguipda » 12 Nov 2013, 08:03

Hi,

after having a new success installation (by formatting the partition and then install the last v2.1) I finally found where does come the kernel panic.
I know it does not have sense but when we get the initial menu that allow us to select starting in kde or fresh or text mode I got the kernel panic if I does not click to select one of those mode. But if I select one of them I do not get this kernel panic. As said I know it is seriously embarrassing due to the fact it seems so different that usual fonctionnality.

Have a nice day.

Miguipda ;-)