[SOLVED] Porteus 2.1 "Laos" keyboard default keyboard bug

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
antiesnob
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 2.1 LXDE

[SOLVED] Porteus 2.1 "Laos" keyboard default keyboard bug

Post#1 by antiesnob » 16 Aug 2013, 20:51

I've found the following issue booting from the iso on a virtual machine or running Porteus 2.1 installed on a flash drive, having tested the flash drive on three machines.

I've downloaded several iso's in "Spanish latinamerican", "Spanish" and "USA" and tried them all and all of them has the same issue.

Keyboard is set to "Laos" as default. Using the GUI maybe you don't notice anything because you don't always have to write (I haven't try this on the console, sorry). This makes several headaches like you cannot access as root because what you type it not "toor" but a strange sequence of symbols. This happens in both users "root" and "guest".

One way to sort it out is:
1- Right click on the flag and then enter to '"Keyboard Layout Handler" Settings'.
2- Once there deactivate "keep system layouts".
3- Then add in the left your language and put it up on top. After this you should see the flag changing to the one you chose before.
4- Click on close.
5- Repeat the steps for the other user (probably root).
At this you'd be able to use your keyboard language on both users. When you reboot your machine this setting will be kept on your flash drive but will be lost on your CD or Virtual Machine.

Please fix it so users can download the iso fixed and avoid the headache.

Best regards to Porteus creators. Hope I'm helping.
Antiesnob
Last edited by antiesnob on 26 Aug 2013, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: Porteus 2.1 "Laos" keyboard default keyboard bug

Post#2 by wread » 16 Aug 2013, 20:56

@antisnob
Which version of Porteus are you using, KDE, XFACE, MATE, 32 or 64 bits? Please give more details, so that we can help it!

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#3 by francois » 16 Aug 2013, 21:01

Until the dev guys make the changes, the simplest procedure is to use following command in terminal:

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~# setxkbmap es
root@porteus:~# 
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

antiesnob
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by antiesnob » 16 Aug 2013, 23:22

Thanks for the replies. I'm using the next:

Porteus 2.1 LXDE 32 bits Desktop Edition generated by the Wizard through the web page, with all three nvidia drivers modules (which Porteus screams when boot concerning some files and directories of nvidia that doesn't exists which I guess is because the other two modules are not needed in a specific machine) and cups, Skype, development tools, LibreOffice, Opera, "guest" logged in automatically in the GUI, Advanced options disabled as defaults except NOAUTO which I enabled it; timezone "America/Buenos_Aires", keyboard "Spanish latinoamerican" (in the first ISO, "Spanish" in the second one and "United States Of America" in the third) .iso = 457MB

I didn't try the console before changing the keyboard to spanish, but I don't have the iso's now coz I delete them after installing Porteus on the flash drive so I can't probe it on the virtual machine.

ps: I forgot to mention on the post that Porteus was installed on my flash drive through a virtual machine using Trisquel distro. BTW I have different video cards on the three machines, older and newest.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#5 by Hamza » 17 Aug 2013, 14:23

Please try again and in case of 'wrong' keyboard layout, post the download link here.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

antiesnob
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by antiesnob » 17 Aug 2013, 17:59

The next week I'll install that link to another flash memory tell you what happen then.

The problem with the commands is that you are not writing that command because you are writing in Laos language symbols which obviously are not accepted by the shell. So the only way I could almost fix it is by the GUI. I'm saying almost because when you reboot sometimes the system remembers the changes and sometimes not...
This is a minor issue but new users who can't enter to root don't see why happens that and in that way they're force to abandon Porteus and try another distro (and that's a little bit more than a minor issue in that sense).

ps: I guess what about cheatcodes on this issue??

Antiesnob

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#7 by fanthom » 17 Aug 2013, 19:28

The problem with the commands is that you are not writing that command because you are writing in Laos language symbols which obviously are not accepted by the shell.
exactly. that's why i asked hamza to tweak the wizard to use 'kmap=$layout,us' cheatcode so users will be able to switch to 'us' mapping with a single mouse click (on a flag) or alt+shift key combination.
ps: I guess what about cheatcodes on this issue?
please check /boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt and search for 'kmap=' description (wizard is using this cheat to set mapping).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

antiesnob
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by antiesnob » 17 Aug 2013, 20:14

Thanks fhantom and the others. I've found that the keyboard (kmap=) was set to "la" intead of "latam".
I will not put solved on the topic yet till I probe this on the other machines, download a new iso and install it on a flash as was suggested and to post here exactly howto solve it, right?.

Useful documentation. I entirely sure this is what was happening to the user of this post -->http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 448#p16735

ps: Did I misunderstand or you're saying the new isos of Porteus 2.1 created by wizard online has changed? Because it always loaded just Laos flag and by clicking there just nothing happened before. After changing the layout the way I did it it let me change to another flag (US n Spanish).

Regards
Last edited by antiesnob on 19 Aug 2013, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#9 by fanthom » 18 Aug 2013, 06:00

Did I misunderstood or you're saying the new isos of Porteus 2.1 created by wizard online has changed?
yes. hamza claims that this bug is fixed and ISOs generated through the wizard will have correct mapping.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#10 by Hamza » 18 Aug 2013, 11:20

Please confirm the resolution of the bug whenever you have a chance.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

antiesnob
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by antiesnob » 25 Aug 2013, 22:47

At laaaast!!!!!! I can confirm that it is working perfectly.

*- Probed live cd from iso through virtual machine with Spanish Latinoamerican keyboard layout.
*- Probed installed Porteus 2.1 on a USB.
*- Probed both "Always fresh mode" and Persistent modes as users "guest" and "root". Latinoamerican keyboard layout working great through console and GUI.
In conclusion the iso is fixed.

But, for those who have the other iso the way to solve avoiding to reinstall the system is the following:

1- Logout and enter as root.
2- go to /mnt/sda/boot/syslinux (/sda in my case).
3- Open "porteus.cfg".
4- Search every "kmap=" entry and add there your keyboard layout (latinoamerican in my case). Eg: kmap=latam.
5- Save the changes.
6- Reboot.

Enjoy