Porteus-v2.0-i486 bug reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Porteus-v2.0-i486 bug reports

Post#1 by brokenman » 20 Feb 2013, 00:21

Please post bug reports for the 32bit porteus v2.0 edition here. Please ensure that your bug can be reproduced on more than one machine. If in doubt always boot Porteus in always fresh mode with no extra modules or files in rootcopy. Preferably use the base_only cheatcode. As always include as much info as possible including which desktop you are using and use xpsinfo to produce a log file that you can upload to pastebin.ca and post a link here. Your feedback is always welcome.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: Porteus-v2.0-i486 bug reports

Post#2 by Rava » 20 Feb 2013, 18:14

Not really a bug report... (feel free to move this post...) but... could it be that Porteus suddenly is more popular than ever?
Usually when loading from ponce.cc I get maximum speed, but now it only can give me ~80-110 kbs... O___o

Not that I would complain if the reason is indeed high popularity of our favourite OS. xD

I will use 2.0 on all my machines [when I downloaded it all] and give you the heads up if anything is amiss with the old issues of 2.0rc2, or if all works well... :Rose:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#3 by Hamza » 20 Feb 2013, 18:33

Please try to download from there: http://mirror.porteus.org/dl/i486/current/
NjVFQzY2Rg==

GullibleJones
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by GullibleJones » 21 Feb 2013, 02:37

A generic "weird X lagginess" bug, of the sort I've never actually seen until today:
- X uses ~5% continuous CPU power according to top
- GTK apps (but not Qt apps) are slow to resize, scroll, and respond to mouse clicks
- Nothing unusual appears in dmesg, Xorg logs, or xsession error logs
- Disabling KMS polling (one of the more common sources of X lagginess recently) does not help

This is on an EeePC 1005HAB: 1.6 GHz dual core Atom N270, 1 GB RAM, and the dreaded Intel GMA 945 graphics chipset. I'm using the Razor Qt version.

Edit: also glxgears gives very low framerates despite DRI apparently working. I know it's not a benchmark, but 10 FPS with sync-to-vblank enabled is absolutely not normal.

Edit 2: I have found a workaround. This seems to be some kind of strange regression(?) in the UXA acceleration method; the newer SNA method works fine. It can be enabled with a Device entry in xorg.conf, e.g. mine looks like

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Intel 945GME GPU"
	Driver "intel"
	Option "AccelMethod" "SNA"
EndSection
3D framerates with sync-to-vblank are still bad, but 2D is far better, and 3D without sync-to-vblank seems to be decent as well.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 21 Feb 2013, 07:07

Again: My report is about XFCe version.

I have to agree with GullibleJones... X appears much slower than 1.2 version of Porteus.
I could run some tests and give you a comparison, if you tell me how I do that.

And on this Mono Core CPU (Again: Samsung Q40: "Genuine Intel(R) CPU U1400 @ 1.20GHz" X has, according to top, about 4-5% all the time. It's video card uses shared RAM.

While running psinfo it gives this error:

root@porteus:/home# psinfo 
cat: /proc/scsi/usb-storage/*: No such file or directory
My graphics details as reported by psinfo:

===== MACHINE INFO =====
Platform: i686
Kernel: 3.7.8-porteus
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU           U1400  @ 1.20GHz
Base Board Information
	Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
	Product Name: SQ40S
MemTotal:        1284092 kB
MemFree:          257512 kB
Bootparam: quiet initrd=/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz from=/dev/sda5/porteus xfce BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz 

[....]

===== PCI INFO =====
lspci: 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device [144d:c028]
	Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)
	Kernel driver in use: i915
00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a6] (rev 03)
And like he said, re-drawing windows is quite slow, e.g. when I switch back from the virtual console, then the windows gets visually re-drawn. Something I never realized with 1.2 Porteus.

When I switch to virtual console, it always shows another virtual console first and then re-freshed to show the one I switched to via keyboard. Again,something I never saw happening before.

Next issue: I set the "Put the PC on sleep when inactive for" to 25 minutes, unlike 1.2 which set this to 15 minutes, it was disabled by default.
But enabling it does nothing, it gets saved in the ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-power-manager.xml file just fine:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<channel name="xfce4-power-manager" version="1.0">
  <property name="xfce4-power-manager" type="empty">
    <property name="inactivity-on-ac" type="uint" value="25"/>
    <property name="brightness-on-ac" type="uint" value="60"/>
    <property name="critical-power-action" type="uint" value="3"/>
    <property name="lid-action-on-battery" type="uint" value="0"/>
    <property name="inactivity-on-battery" type="uint" value="30"/>
    <property name="spin-down-on-battery" type="bool" value="true"/>
    <property name="brightness-on-battery" type="uint" value="60"/>
    <property name="power-button-action" type="uint" value="3"/>
    <property name="hibernate-button-action" type="uint" value="3"/>
    <property name="sleep-button-action" type="uint" value="3"/>
    <property name="lid-action-on-ac" type="uint" value="0"/>
    <property name="dpms-on-ac-sleep" type="uint" value="10"/>
    <property name="dpms-on-ac-off" type="uint" value="15"/>
    <property name="lock-screen-suspend-hibernate" type="bool" value="false"/>
    <property name="power-save-on-battery" type="bool" value="false"/>
    <property name="critical-power-level" type="uint" value="5"/>
  </property>
</channel>
but like I said, it doesn't go to suspend like it should, and like Port 1.2 did.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#6 by fanthom » 21 Feb 2013, 10:00

@GullibleJones
Edit 2: I have found a workaround. This seems to be some kind of strange regression(?) in the UXA acceleration method; the newer SNA method works fine.
SNA is enabled by default in Porteus-2.0 so this config part can be deleted.
i believe that sluggishness was because you had UXA set in xorg.conf before - is it?

please search Xorg.0.log for 'SNA ' string when in doubt which accel method is being used.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

GullibleJones
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by GullibleJones » 21 Feb 2013, 11:06

I found a UXA string the first time when grepping through the log files, that's what prompted me to use SNA. The thing was, that was with the default setup - no xorg.conf file at all. I had to add a xorg.conf file to specify SNA.

Edit: yeah, removing xorg.conf gets me back to UXA and bad performance. SNA is definitely not the default for my hardware.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#8 by fanthom » 21 Feb 2013, 12:32

@GullibleJones
you are probably right as i have sent wrong update to brokenman (64bit xzm instead of 32bit) and he had to compile intel driver himself.
this let me think that default accel method was never set to SNA in 32bits....

this will be fixed in Porteus-2.0.1 (if we ever decide to release it) or first rc of 2.1.
for now - all affected users should set SNA manually.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Rava » 21 Feb 2013, 14:06

@fanthom
Does my machine also use the Inter driver? As I quoted above:
VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
But how to ask Porteus is it is also the issue between SNA and UXA?
fanthom wrote:this will be fixed in Porteus-2.0.1 (if we ever decide to release it) or first rc of 2.1.
for now - all affected users should set SNA manually.
I hope we get an x.0.1 update this time, cause it will be as supported as the finale 2.0, while the rc1 of 2.1 will be less supported with all used modules and drivers and whatnot. Just my 2 cents. *nudge nudge wink wink*

Especially this issue will affect lots of users and throw a bad light on our favourite OS's reputation... :)
Last edited by Rava on 21 Feb 2013, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by Rava » 21 Feb 2013, 14:16

So... I searched teh intertubes and found the exact needed thing to do.

My xorg.conf at the beginning / the relevant section:

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "intel"
	BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
This part / section I changed to the below:

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "intel"
	BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
	Option	 "AccelMethod" "sna"
EndSection
and restarted X. Now the CPU usage according to top dropped to 0.3% :Yahoo:

What I forgot:

I <B that mousepad now is able ti handle tabs and multiple files, what I miss is the red warning line when you run it as root...

And yet another bug:

When I drag and drop a file from Thunar onto the Firefox Window, that file (or folder) got opened in FFx, now, with Port2.0 nothing happens. What could be the reason for that?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#11 by Ahau » 21 Feb 2013, 15:49

Rava wrote:
I <B that mousepad now is able ti handle tabs and multiple files, what I miss is the red warning line when you run it as root...

And yet another bug:

When I drag and drop a file from Thunar onto the Firefox Window, that file (or folder) got opened in FFx, now, with Port2.0 nothing happens. What could be the reason for that?
Just like Thunar, I patched mousepad to remove the root warning. Please download the source+my slackbuild here: http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... pad.tar.gz. Save it to /tmp, extract with 'tar -xvf mousepad.tar.gz', 'cd mousepad', then open the slackbuild 'geany mousepad.SlackBuild' and comment out the line:

#get rid of root warning
patch -p1 < $CWD/mousepad-norootwarn.patch

Save, then run the slackbuild: './mousepad.SlackBuild'. This will compile a new txz package, when it's done, convert it to an xzm: 'txz2xzm mousepad-0.3.0-x86_64-1Ahau.txz mousepad-0.3.0-x86_64-1Ahau.xzm' then copy the xzm file to /porteus/modules. Root warning will be there :)

I'm not able to reproduce your issue with drag and dropping files from thunar into firefox. When I drag text files from thunar into firefox, they open right up. What kind of files are you having this issue with, and are you in 64 or 32-bit?

I'm also working on testing the power manager issue. I don't have 15 minutes to wait to check it at the moment but will get back to you on this one. I apologize for this last minute change in the config before 2.0 final, I was trying to alleviate some issues folks were having with their system going to sleep and not recovering, and syncing my settings with those for other desktops.

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#12 by Rava » 21 Feb 2013, 16:35

Ahau wrote:I'm not able to reproduce your issue with drag and dropping files from thunar into firefox. When I drag text files from thunar into firefox, they open right up. What kind of files are you having this issue with, and are you in 64 or 32-bit?
Only realized in 32 bit version, and XFCe of course, cause it's thunar. I am working on installing the x86-64, but that will get the never firefox module, at least today morning there was no Update for i486 Port2.0.

And I got another Thunar/drag and drop issue.
I use viewnior as my default image viewer, not Risetto. (It is the V0.6 that I used with 1.2 Porteus, dunno if there is already a never version now.)

So... I had a Thunar open with 3 tabs, and drag'n dropped an image onto viewnior which it sure opened. But Thunar then switched to the very first tab, and I had to go to the one I wanted to be in again, I tried that over and over again but always Thunar switched from the current Tab to the first one... O___o
Ahau wrote:I'm also working on testing the power manager issue. I don't have 15 minutes to wait to check it at the moment but will get back to you on this one. I apologize for this last minute change in the config before 2.0 final, I was trying to alleviate some issues folks were having with their system going to sleep and not recovering, and syncing my settings with those for other desktops.
I get that it~s quite some work in including lots of users issues...

What would happen if you edit the config file by hand and set the time from 15 min to 1 min?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by Rava » 21 Feb 2013, 16:49

Update
Really strange... I tried the tab and drag'n drop matter again, and now Thunar stays at the very Tab I was in, and it is the very same running system than before... :pardon:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#14 by Ahau » 21 Feb 2013, 17:08

Yeah, I just tested on a fresh boot in 32-bit and drag 'n drop of images into viewnoir and firefox, even with tabs open, seems to be working fine. Please check 'always fresh' mode if this happens again. Maybe some kind of service/daemon got shut down or segfaulted.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#15 by Ahau » 21 Feb 2013, 17:50

I just tested the power manager settings - I plugged in my laptop, set it to go to sleep after 15 minutes when on AC, set it down and after 15 minutes it went to sleep. Did you close the power manager settings window after you changed the settings?

Also, what's the output of:

'ps aux|grep xf'

We'll check to see if you had any xfce services that got shutdown somehow.