64bit official Porteus repository bug reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: 64bit official Porteus repository bug reports

Post#16 by fanthom » 31 Mar 2013, 02:57

hi miguipda,

please try in 'always fresh' mode and check if you get sound back.
in not then must be a hardware problem (cause it was working before), if yes then please reboot to your normal configuration (changes + modules), open PSC and run Test button in 'sound card selector' application (make sure your speakers are unmuted in alsamixer)
if you get a sound through PSC then it must be a phonon fault so please delete /home/guest/.kde4/share/config/phonondevicesrc and reboot porteus.
if you do not get a sound through PSC then must be one of your changes/modules causing this.
please boot to 'always fresh' and add modules one by one to determine which one is breaking the sound.

if this is really a module causing your troubles then please let me know which one and i'll try to fix it.

good luck!
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#17 by miguipda » 31 Mar 2013, 06:57

Hi,

as proposed by Hamza, I did this command line as guest and root. But nothing changed. I will then try in always fresh and follow the fanthom recommendation.
Just one think. I already test if it was the hardware by using another distribution. It works with other one. Then I will check modules one by one.

Thansk.

Here is what I got by reloading alsa.
guest@porteus:~$ /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa reload
/etc/rc.d/rc.alsa: line 66: modprobe: command not found
Loading ALSA mixer settings: /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
/usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1696: No soundcards found...

guest@porteus:~$ su
Password:
root@porteus:/home/guest# /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa reload

root@porteus:/home/guest# cd /etc/rc.d
root@porteus:/etc/rc.d# ./rc.alsa reload

But still no sound. Even after a reboot.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#18 by Hamza » 31 Mar 2013, 10:30

Please try to boot up without your two recently installed packages and without changes. Can you also upload somewhere your 2 modules and post links here.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#19 by miguipda » 31 Mar 2013, 13:21

Hi,

I resume what I tried and did not got any changes about the sound :
1) Not HW due to the fact sound works with other distroibutions and also in Portaus Always Fresh
2) I previously clicked on the Tetser button on PSC without result. I test it on the three given default sound device the two other (one is the nVidia HDA ALC889A) was grey and unavailable (then could not be tested) = no sound
3) I test this command line without getting sound back (even after a reboot) : /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa reload
4) I executed the alsactl and tested to change the alsamixer paramter : no sound
5) I executed the command line speaker-test and heard the speaker have some changes until I quit the current command execution without havins sound.
6) Since I made the point 3) I does not get back the phonon popup window to click on the Tester button.
7) I even delete the recommended file /home/guest/.kde4/share/config/phonondevicesrc and rebooted without having sound back after a reboot.

Now the last think to do will be remove the last modules and test it back to find which one is the problem.

Stay tuned ;-)

Have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#20 by miguipda » 31 Mar 2013, 13:35

Hi,

1) all /porteus/modules removed except those given with Porteus installation (base, ...) and after a reboot ... = no sound :-(
2) Go back to PSC to try testing the Sound devices... = popup message telling that One or fewer devices have been removed... But no following window given to try test some of the defaults (as explained since I tried the famous proposed command line : /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa reload) But I can still access to this popup window in the Configuraiton Panel - Multimedia. I just saw now the previous existing HDA ACL889A disappear now from the list... :cry:

For me it means it must come from some changes...
Please do not let me consider I will still need to reinstall Porteus to be sure having a working system (since the last try to write chinese)...

Have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#21 by Ahau » 02 Apr 2013, 16:03

If sound is working in "Always Fresh" mode, but it is not working with saved changes and only the base modules present, then this sounds like the problem is somewhere in your saved changes. Please boot without the "changes=" cheatcode and see if sound returns. If it does, then we can be certain that your saved changes are the problem. To me, this is the most troubling error message: "/etc/rc.d/rc.alsa: line 66: modprobe: command not found" If indeed modprobe is not working, then your problem is that your sound driver is never being loaded in the first place and you have something wrong elsewhere in your system.

If removing changes= solves the problem, you might want to wipe your changes and start over -- if you have something in your saved changes you want to keep you could copy it from your old changes into your new changes (save.dat or a folder on a linux partition) or you could take the harder path and try to find the problematic file in your saved changes and remove it.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#22 by miguipda » 06 Apr 2013, 08:53

Hi,

I took time to all install from scratch.I installed all the modules I previously had and it work back.
I do not know what was the problem but I may not hget sound back.

Sincerely thanks and have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#23 by francois » 08 Apr 2013, 11:06

I do not know if these will be called bugs. However, they certainly are some adjustments.

1) When downloading system-config-printer with dependencies two packages come in excess tlc and tk. They are of no use to the print pack. could they be removed (we did the same for gutenprint that was not needing gimp).
2) If I would like to use hplip package alone, without dependencies as an additional database for wider coverage of printers, I do not get the choice to get it alone. This would be a good thing to have the choice. This way hplip package as database would be only added to system-config-printer.
3) Printer-drivers-overall package. Giving the choice of printer database to come with porteus printpack system-config-printer (27 MB) between 1) standard, which comes with gutenprint printer database (3.3 MB) and 2) overall, which would add hplip (13 MB) database and foomatic database (31 MB) for a total of 71 MB. It would provide a simple option as offered in debian to their naive or newbie printer users.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#24 by fanthom » 08 Apr 2013, 12:46

@francois
1) tcl and tk are not direct deps for system-config-printer but are for python package. i dont think we should cut them off as one day user may want to use some python app and find that tcl/tk are missing.
i would leave it as is.
2) there is a possibility of downloading modules without dependency. search for 'hplip' -> double click on it -> thick on 'no dependency resolution' -> Get it now
3) i would leave this task till we reach first rc of porteus-2.1. there will be a web wizard where user can choose a 'print pack' which will be the most complete printing solution (same as 'devel' bundle). pushing it to PPM is possible but i recon it would be a doubled effort.

thanks for your suggestions.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#25 by francois » 08 Apr 2013, 17:15

I am following your scheme.

Thanks.

miguipda
Samurai
Samurai

Post#26 by miguipda » 11 Apr 2013, 15:32

Hi,

after a new install of Porteus v2.0 64 I used PPM to install skype (skype_static-4.1.0.20-x86_64-3sl.xzm).
After installation it tried to activate it and said it is not a valid module. As I had a previous (some days) correct downloaded skype_static-4.1.0.20-x86_64-3sl.xzm
module I moved it and activated it. But it returned me this error on activation on a terminal (to see why it does not start it when I click on the icon :

Fatal: QWidget: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice
/usr/bin/skype: line 19: 6370 Aborted LD_PRELOAD=/usr/share/skype/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so GCONV_PATH=/usr/share/skype/lib32/gconv QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/share/skype/lib32/plugins /usr/share/skype/lib32/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/share/skype/lib32/ /usr/share/skype/skype

Then could you please give us a workable skype version on the 64 bit version ?

Sincerely thanks for your hep and have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#27 by fanthom » 11 Apr 2013, 16:40

@miguipda

i have fixed skype issue just yesterday (without version bump, probably i should do it).
please download again as for sure the version from 64bit official repo is working.

oranus
Contributor
Contributor

Post#28 by oranus » 12 Apr 2013, 12:46

Hi all,

I try to set sound volume on rc.alsa script Porteus 2.0 on XFCE. I change /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa on 001.core.xzm. But after restart it doesn't change.

Anywhere to change any config file?

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#29 by francois » 12 Apr 2013, 14:46

opera-12.11-x86_64-1ro.xzm

Trying to download opera thru PPM, it will propose many dependencies, amongst which some in the end could not be resolved.

If I get the module alone, opera-12.11-x86_64-1ro.xzm without dependencies, from ponce porteus:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/modules/ ... 64-1ro.xzm

the webrowser works. Are these dependencies really needed?

Thanks.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#30 by fanthom » 12 Apr 2013, 21:14

@oranus
rc.alsa should work but maybe XFCE settings override it?
try 'volume=' cheatcode.

btw: this thread is for repo bug reports only while your issue is related to core (ISO).

@francois
are you using porteus-2.0? asking cuz 2.0 repo has never opera module and all deps (6) are resolved.
reminder: please do not pull modules manually - we have PPM for this.
(i'm getting convinced that porteus-1.x repo should be deleted to avoid troubles like that)