ati-fglrx modules

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
imam
White ninja
White ninja

ati-fglrx modules

Post#1 by imam » 02 May 2012, 20:53

I just trying Porteus 1.2 64bit with ati-fglrx-12.1-porteus-v1.2-rc1-x86_64-1ftm.xzm inserted in /modules and works. After that I just activing both of vBox & vBox Guest modules and works too.

A problem comes when I inserting vBox modules in /modules and screen blanks after reboot. And I got massage server error: unloading ati-fglrx-12.1-porteus-v1.2-rc1-x86_64-1ftm.xzm. So, I using mc to deleting both of vBox & vBox modules from /modules and looks normally after reboot.

But if I install the ati driver from amd.com website, I did not experience this even though I put the vbox modules from the beginning.

I think there needs to be improved, so that modules can be loaded ati and vbox together since the booting. Because I experienced the same problem on both of my machine. Asus eeePC 1215BE with Radeon 6320 and MSI 790G45 with Radeon HD4670.

Many thanks for everyone's :)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: ati-fglrx modules

Post#2 by fanthom » 02 May 2012, 22:03

hello imam,

vbox-guest should never be used on a real hardware. it's only for virtual session.
please delete it from /porteus/modules (it's useless anyway) and all will be fine.
But if I install the ati driver from amd.com website, I did not experience this even though I put the vbox modules from the beginning
that's because ati driver overrides /etc/X11/xorg.conf included in vbox-guest module so fglrx driver is loaded correctly.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

imam
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by imam » 03 May 2012, 08:31

I agree, it would also burden the system when the initial boot.

What about sleep and hibernation? is there any reports of it? Mine was more like sleeping and do not want to wake up. Finally I have to actually remove the battery so that he could return to work.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 04 May 2012, 11:12

What about sleep and hibernation?
it depends on the hardware.
i can do sleep/hibernation on my i3 core HP laptop anytime i want and everything is ok.
on my core 2 duo desktop i can do it only once and always get a hang after waking up from second try (no matter if i do it with fglrx driver or not).

never version of kernel in porteus-1.2 may bring an improvement but you never know.
i would try sleep and/or hibernation on some ubuntu live cd and if that works ok for ubuntu then we can start digging in porteus kernel config/try external patches/etc...
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.