Porteus-ARM for the Raspberry Pi

Ahau's work on porting Porteus to ARM devices
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Porteus-ARM for the Raspberry Pi

Post#16 by Ahau » 19 Apr 2013, 14:17

I actually don't have a Pi yet :( I plan on getting the model B as RAM is pretty important to me. I like running without saved changes, which means my changes are stored in RAM while the system is running. I'll probably have to get over that predisposition, though, when I finally get around to picking one up. As for now, I'm developing on a tegra 2 tablet, which is much faster than the pi.

There are some packages specific to slackwarearm that are floating around on the web that will probably help the pi run better:
http://www.daves-collective.co.uk/raspi/system.shtml
http://ponce.cc/slackware/slackwarearm- ... pi-extras/

I've not wrapped those into a module yet, but after you get more familiar with booting on the Pi and converting txz modules to xzm's (all you have to do us run txz2xzm) it shouldn't be tough to add them in. I'm leary to tweak too much without having the hardware in-hand.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

ponce
Contributor
Contributor

Post#17 by ponce » 26 Apr 2013, 07:09

ahau, if useful I'm about to substitute the extras in the link with these ones: the kernel got aufs3 built in

http://ponce.cc/testing/raspi-extras/

they're not already in the usual place because I want to test the installer one more time when I get back from work: I've tested it yesterday before putting in aufs3, but the new kernel seems to run fine.

if you like to have some more defaults (as long they are compatible with a slackware standard install) just whistle. ;)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#18 by Ahau » 26 Apr 2013, 14:43

Hi Ponce, thanks, I'm sure that will be helpful! I'll have to see about moving to kernel 3.6 as well when I have a chance :)

I just went through the 'hacks' package and it seems pretty straightforward. should be able to convert that into a porteus module for use in porteus-arm without issue. Have you used libcofi_rpi with good results?

Also - I'm in the process of porting Slackware (vanilla slackware, not Porteus yet) to armv6 for the raspberry pi, closely following Alienbob's work. Standard slackwarearm doesn't have hard float, and Alienbob's ARM port is targeting ARMv7, leaving a bit of a gap in slackware as far as the pi is concerned. If you're interested in giving that a shot, I have made a small miniroot available (no xorg yet): http://code.google.com/p/porteus-arm/downloads/list

and in the next week or two I should be ready to start pushing some packages that are meant for actual use. I have 950 packages built so far but I want to rebuild everything once more to pick up missing linkages.

ponce
Contributor
Contributor

Post#19 by ponce » 26 Apr 2013, 17:52

to say the truth I'm not doing anything useful with libcofi_rpi yet, beside packaging it using david's scripts.

I was reading about your progresses on alien's blog :)

I'll be happy to test your miniroot just after the installer, as I have now all my three raspberries with their sd cards busy (one with slackwarearm-14.0, one with -current and one for the tests). ;)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#20 by Ahau » 26 Apr 2013, 18:25

Ok, sounds great :) When you get to the minirootfs, you'll notice it doesn't have a kernel, initrd or kernel modules (/lib/{firmware,modules}). You should be able to re-use all of that from slackwarearm. I've not built an installer for it yet, either. Everything happens slower on ARM!

jawbonegroove
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Arch Linux

Post#21 by jawbonegroove » 07 Jun 2014, 20:10

i intend on working with these ARM projects (really curious about the slackware hard-float) within the week (raspberry pi model b).

i'll post more when i get a solid system running.

i'm also wondering about a "sensei"-like build ... i really love the porteus-pacman system and i want it on my pi. any suggestions on that?

nathanjfield
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk 3.1.1

Post#22 by nathanjfield » 08 Aug 2014, 12:59

Ahau wrote:
Ok, while I still don't have a Pi of my own to play with, the kernel I just posted today at http://porteus-arm.googlecode.com/files ... -14.tar.gz

Is now working out of the box to boot a Raspberry Pi into the GUI with network support!
Sounds good, but for a non-Linux buff like myself :) , would you be able to furnish me with a walkthrough of how to get that extracted and written onto an SD card to boot the raspberry pi? Thanks!

port
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux porteus 3.2.2 KDE

Post#23 by port » 14 Oct 2016, 03:50

is this project still alive?