Porteus Angry Gnome v2.0rc1

Porteus Fat Gnome Edition
sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Re: Porteus Angry Gnome v2.0rc1

Post#31 by sean » 21 Mar 2013, 02:51

Great idea adding a super user file manager. Looks like another super team working on this also.

Wee bit of a problem for me......... no sound :-) Didn't check that the first go round. However, I believe I've tried most every hardware configuration, even disconnecting a USB webcam which was showing as an optional sound device (input).

Here's my sound card specs:

SOUND CARDS:

ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
0x802
1d.7-4, high speed
Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel 82801DB-ICH4]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - IEC958]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

BTW, I incorporated the Poptray Minus module that Hamza compiled and it works great here in Fat Gnome.

In the panel, the workspace switcher will give me only 1 row of 8 desktops no matter how many rows I select. I normally use 2 rows of 4. Setting it for 2 rows makes no difference, I only get one row of 8. I have increased the pixels of the panel to no avail.

I know the size of this DE is extremely important, so I offer this as info only. On my Ubuntu 8.10 Gnome desktop I was able to find a program called "Gnome Color Chooser", which I use for the text in my panel. If the background is dark and I'm using a fully transparent panel I can change the text color so it is visible or as visible as I would like. Adding such may be prohibitive, so like I said, FYI.

Another no biggy, I'm running "weather report" in the panel and have it set for 15 minute updates. So every 15 minutes the nice big rectangular notification balloon pops down. That doesn't happen with Ubuntu 8.10 with the same applet. Also the temperature shows it is getting colder here, can you at least do something about that?!

I'm betting the "Intel" of the sound card is the culprit there :-) ?

Thumbs Up,

Sean

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#32 by sean » 21 Mar 2013, 15:11

These are little individual choice items, and not a big deal, just questions and FYI.

1- Setting Caja, Edit, Preference, Behavior, Single click to open items - seems to have no effect. Still need 2 clicks to open items.

2 - I normally prefer a clean desktop, and the desktop icons named Computer, home, and Trash can not be found in my Desktop directory/folder. Is there anyway I can move or remove them from the Desktop? Must be some unique way they are placed on the desktop.

3 - Clock 1.5.3 in the panel, appears to use a strftime format, yes, no? If so is there a way to change the format?

4 - Notification Area 1.5.3 in the panel, includes the keyboard layout preference selector by default. Couldn't find it in Startup Applications. Is there a way to remove keyboard layout from the Notification Area?

Hope everybody realizes I was joking in the previous post about brokenman fixing the temperature here where I live.

Sean

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#33 by brokenman » 21 Mar 2013, 16:29

I am preparing to leave for work so i will answer as many as i can and continue after work.

BTW, I incorporated the Poptray Minus module that Hamza compiled and it works great here in Fat Gnome.
Excellent to hear

Can you tell me how you are testing the sound?

In the panel, the workspace switcher will give me only 1 row of 8 desktops no matter how many rows I select.
Working Ok here. 2 rows of four with no change of panel size. Please try after booting to a fresh install to be sure the dconf settings are not tainted.

I know the size of this DE is extremely important, so I offer this as info only. On my Ubuntu 8.10 Gnome desktop I was able to find a program called "Gnome Color Chooser", which I use for the text in my panel.
I am looking for something to address this. Usually the theme determines the text color so messing with the gtk file could fix it but a GUI would be much better.

Another no biggy, I'm running "weather report" in the panel and have it set for 15 minute updates. So every 15 minutes the nice big rectangular notification balloon pops down.
Ok just checked it and happens here too. Will have a look at recompiling and check options. Nothing in settings to disable notification. I also have the same problem with temperature dropping. Not sure if this is El Nino or a glitch in the government Global Warming agenda.

1- Setting Caja, Edit, Preference, Behavior, Single click to open items - seems to have no effect. Still need 2 clicks to open items.
This worked for me. Open Caja. Go to edit/preferences and click on the behaviour tab. Change from single click to double click and then back to single click again. Single click works after this.

While mate desktop is at 1.5 branch i believe it is still incomplete. The 1.6 release should be more feature rich and hopefully include a dconf-editor. For now you can dump your dconf config file to find many options.

from a guest console:

Code: Select all

dconf dump / > /tmp/dconf.dump
cat /tmp/dconf.dump
After you make changes you can remerge it.

dconf load / < /tmp/dconf.dump
The config file (for backup reasons) is /home/guest/.config/dconf/user

Will try to address other issues after work.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#34 by sean » 21 Mar 2013, 20:31

@brokenman,

*****In the panel, the workspace switcher will give me only 1 row of 8 desktops no matter how many rows I select.
Working Ok here. 2 rows of four with no change of panel size. Please try after booting to a fresh install to be sure the dconf settings are not tainted.

Reboot worked for this, thanks.

*****1- Setting Caja, Edit, Preference, Behavior, Single click to open items - seems to have no effect. Still need 2 clicks to open items.
This worked for me. Open Caja. Go to edit/preferences and click on the behaviour tab. Change from single click to double click and then back to single click again. Single click works after this.

Your instructions worked for this, thanks.

You asked: "Can you tell me how you are testing the sound?"

I got it working :-) momentarily :-( , then permanently ? :-) pulseaudio is playing a role here somehow.

1- I installed XMMS from PPM. Upon opening XMMS and selecting play file from the dropdown menu, highlighting an .mp3 file and selecting Play, I got a pop-up notification box titled Couldn't open audio - Please check that: Your soundcard is configured properly - You have the correct output plugin selected - No other program is blocking the soundcard.

Could get no sound with GNOME MPlayer or VLC Media Player either.

2- Under System, Preferences, Soundcard Selector it shows my Intel card as the default. **** I have not as yet attempted "Build" because the proper card is selected ****
At this same screen, clicking on "Test" does nothing.
At this same screen, clicking on "Apply" causes a pop-up box titled Close running programs...(as superuser) - One or more programs that utilize your sound device(s) are currently running on your system. Please try closing the following programs, then click'Apply' again: /usr/bin/pulseaudio

I have opened the System Monitor - Processes window, found the pid for pulseaudio, then opened a Super User Mode Terminal, commanded: kill <process ID#>, watched pulseaudio vanish from the System Monitor window for about 5 seconds and reappear with a new pid#. I have tried from the System Monitor window to End pulseaudio, Stop pulseaudio, and Kill pulseaudio and it keeps coming right back.

I have opened System, Preferences, Startup Applications and un-checked the 2 Pulseaudio settings. I've tried it with only one disabled, then the other.

Pulseaudio will not die !!

3- For the momentary success, I opened a Super User Mode Terminal and called up caja. With caja I went to /usr/bin and renamed pulseaudio to xpulseaudio. I then returned to the SUM Terminal and using the PID from System Monitor, I killed the pulseaudio PID. Then I waited for pulseaudio to show again in System Monitor, it did not, yeah, I finally killed it! This process caused the Volume control icon/applet to vanish from the panel Notification Area.

I again opened System, Preferences, Soundcard Selector. My soundcard was shown as being selected as default. I clicked on "Apply" and this time, with pulseaudio dead, it told me my selection was "accepted". Opened my home folder and clicked on an .mp3 file and it opened in VLC and played wonderfully.

Next step was to rename xpulseaudio back to pulseaudio and I rebooted, with both pulseaudio setting disengaged in Startup Applications.

A reboot brought me right back to no sound.

4- Went through the process of killing pulseaudio via renaming it xpulseaudio again. a reboot shows the volume control icon/applet still missing from the panel notification area. However, I do have sound !

Cons: This process has rendered System, Preference, Sound totally non-responsive.
The Volume Control icon/applet is no longer available in the panel notification area.

FYI: I notice Porteus-Mate ships with both GNOME MPlayer and VLC Media Player. I think they both do pretty much the same thing and perhaps one or the other could be eliminated. If GNOME MPlayer or VLC Media Player were separate modules I would certainly eliminate one.

Since I only installed XMMS for this sound testing I intend to delete it and it's dependencies. BTW, I did have to select the ALSA plugin in XMMS for it to play.

5- I don't mean to be piling on, just want to get this to you before I forget. Also this may be a Mate problem, just say so and maybe point me in the right direction for Mate bug reporting.

System, Preferences, Windows, Titlebar Action, Minimize and Roll up sometimes work and sometimes seem interchangable. Like at times if set to Minimize the double click will cause the window to roll up, and at times if set to Roll up the window may minimize. I have been unable to find any consistency to blame it on.

I've never tested before, hope I'm not being too picky. Thanks again for all your help, and I hope I'm not causing you to feel any of my requests are urgent. Just trying to contribute in some positive way.

Hope your day was Great,

Sean

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#35 by brokenman » 22 Mar 2013, 01:37

hope I'm not being too picky.
No, picky is good.

I cringed when i saw that pulse audio was interwoven within the compiling of mate. I don't like it and prefer a more reliable universal solution such as alsa. Unfortunately the volume icon is only available for pulse so removing it means losing the panel icon. I'll try to find more info on how to get it working with the intel sound.

For the desktop icons you will need to manually hack dconf until a dconf-editor is made available.

dconf dump / > /tmp/dconf.dump
leafpad /tmp/dconf.dump
Add this block in somewhere

[apps/caja/desktop]
home-icon-visible=false
trash-icon-visible=false
computer-icon-visible=false
network-icon-visible=false
While your in there change:
layouts=['us', 'fr', 'it', 'es']
to
layouts=['us']
This will remove the keyboard layout

Reload the dconf file

dconf load / < /tmp/dconf.dump
Your icons should automagically vanish.

I havn't yet figured out the correct entry to change the clock applet format.
Again i apologize for having to get your hands dirty in config files and am hoping to provide a GUI for such config changes in next release.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#36 by sean » 22 Mar 2013, 11:05

@brokenman,

The code and changes you suggested for dconf worked perfectly, no more desktop icons and the keyboard layout icon is gone from the notification area in the panel.

Thank you.

From what I can gather off the net, there is a program called "mateconf-editor" out there somewhere, see this:

http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=386

However, actually finding that software has been challenging.

* Returning to: the System, Preferences, Windows, Titlebar Action which was set to Minimize last evening, but actually performed Roll up, this morning now performs Maximize Vertically. Somehow, that setting does not hold, leaving Titlebar Action with a mind of its own.............and just this second, still set for Minimize, I double clicked the title bar and it Rolled up. Go figure :-)

"Again I apologize for having to get your hands dirty in config files and am hoping to provide a GUI for such config changes in next release."

Golly gee wiz, no apology necessary. I'm extremely thankful for everything you've offered up here and with Porteus. I'm actually learning something :-) I've never been uncomfortable under the hood of Linux, but I never ventured there with OS/2.

Great Day to ya,

Sean

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#37 by brokenman » 22 Mar 2013, 14:43

However, actually finding that software has been challenging.
Yes indeed it is difficult to find. I could compile it from source but the problem is that most of the other mate components are now compiled without the dconf/gconf settings and so no settings are created in dconf-editor. I will check up on the status of the dconf editor, but it may be that this will be removed for version 1.6. I need to ask on their forum about the alternative for changing settings.

Regarding the roll up option under window preferences. I can't reproduce the sporadic behaviour. For me it behaves as expected. When i check the dconf settings after changing to rollup i see this:

[apps/marco/general]
action-double-click-titlebar='minimize'
theme='Equinox Light Glass'
I will check it on another box to see how it reacts.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#38 by francois » 23 Mar 2013, 21:47

1) Is there any possibility that you could integrate system-config-printer and related packages as the main interface to porteus angry-gnome? The overall beast is 28 MB. As a comparison the gutenprint-ghostscript method weights 18.5 MB, but might be less intuitive. I think system-config-printer could be a good seller for newcomers.

2) Is it also possible that login=root cheatcode be functional for angry-gnome?

Thanks. :D
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#39 by brokenman » 24 Mar 2013, 00:03

Thanks Francois, will certainly try to accommodate your system-config-printer request. As for login=root, if i can get GDM to play nice i will try to allow for this cheat. Caso contrario, you may have to type root password to boot to root.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#40 by francois » 24 Mar 2013, 00:50

I know that gdm login manager is really hard to go around. However, as a slax and porteus fan, I was so used to work root that I always tried to find the strategy to do so. If I find some interesting threads on the subject, hoping that you don't know them:
http://kav.in/root-login-with-kdm-gdm-l ... ntu-linux/

Thanks for your open mindedness about all of our comments. :D
Last edited by francois on 24 Mar 2013, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Hannah Montana Linux

Re: Porteus Fat Gnome v2.0rc1

Post#41 by UrUtusUbU » 24 Mar 2013, 03:09

hhahahahahahaha very good, linux is for masochists :lol:
but sometimes windows does not end so easily :D

are you surfing in wallpaper? or is another? xD

thanks for the job, trying angry gnome.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#42 by francois » 24 Mar 2013, 11:04

I did not see this one UrUtusUbU. This is what is called in french «une perle», a pearl.

1) The gnome root rule bypass did not work.
2) removing login=root cheatcode in menu.lst permits autologin of guest, which makes guest more attractive.
3) for a frugal install with changes, after a few bootups, this happened many times though I renewed the change file, I get error message:
«User's home /.dmrc file is being ignored...
User home must be owned by user and not writable by other users»

But maybe this was trigerred by my attempts to have root access. What do you think?
4) there is a problem with saving windows that where on the desktop, but I also have that problem within the xfce 64 bit edition.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#43 by francois » 12 Apr 2013, 22:02

Using guest account my change file becomes corrupted after two to three bootup. Did you experience that?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#44 by brokenman » 12 Apr 2013, 23:35

I havn't seen this, but then i havn't tested extensively with a changes file. The offending file could be the dconf config file. You can test by removing it from changes. You will lose all customizations.

/home/guest/.config/dconf/user

If this is the case i will have some work to do.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#45 by francois » 13 Apr 2013, 21:43

Removing that config file did not do the trick.

Here is the error message:

User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored...   ... User's $ HOME/.dmrc must be owned by user and not writable by other users.
I should say that I have put some root owned files on the desktop.