a few questions

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
truchosky
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus kiosk

a few questions

Post#1 by truchosky » 24 Dec 2016, 22:09

hi people, i dont understand yet how this distro worls, here some questions:

1. I burn the iso, I put in my kiosk, I follow the installation wizard and all is good, how ever: if after the installation I want to change a parameter like hide address bar in firefox where can I edit this? i need to install all over again?, i read you can install remote managment and then you can edit the parameters in there, the changes take effect in next reboot, but where are this config parameters on the box? how can i edit/save/copy those config files?, i can upload those throw ftp and then "read" those from there using remote managment wizard, where are the config files to copy ?

2. it had touchscreen support, i own a egalax touchscreen, after run the "calibrate tool" it changes the axes, again: where can i edit the config files to swap x and y in calibration ?

3. it support touchscreen gestures?, i only need scroll down and up for webpage navigation, this required some other package like touchegg?

4. 2 monitor support?, my kiosk has 2 monitors and i need 2 webpages in each one

cheers and very christmas

truchosky
White ninja
White ninja

Re: a few questions

Post#2 by truchosky » 25 Dec 2016, 01:33

ok, I did some test:

1. solved

2. on the same config kiosk parameters i can edit the touch screen calibration

3. not tested yet, problems with calibration

I had a problem on calibration, I calibrated touch screen using the wizard, it generates the following line:

Code: Select all

touchscreen_calibration="eGalax Inc." "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 49 1962 1849 144 "eGalax Inc." "Evdev Axes Swap" 8 1
inmediatly after the calibration touch screen keeps working with inverted or swap axes so i did it again, then wizard generates the following line:

touchscreen_calibration="eGalax Inc." "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 1962 49 144 1849
on second calibration touch screen worked perfectly so i left the second generate code on kiosk config, after installation and reboot the touchscreen didnt work, it was with axes inverted/swap again so i put the first code and reboot, it recognized the changes but still touch screen is inverted/swap

so i test 2 configuration:

[[ GLOBAL ]]
kiosk_config=***
connection=wired
network_interface=eth0
dhcp=yes
browser=firefox
homepage=***
touchscreen_calibration="eGalax Inc." "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 49 1962 1849 144 "eGalax Inc." "Evdev Axes Swap" 8 1
primary_keyboard_layout=latam
hide_mouse=no
additional_components=uefi.zip
disable_navigation_bar=no

[[ GLOBAL ]]
kiosk_config=***
connection=wired
network_interface=eth0
dhcp=yes
browser=firefox
homepage=***
touchscreen_calibration="eGalax Inc." "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 1962 49 144 1849
primary_keyboard_layout=latam
hide_mouse=no
additional_components=uefi.zip
disable_navigation_bar=no
neither works on the screen, any clue ?

barteks
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: LMDE

Post#3 by barteks » 11 Jan 2017, 08:03

I have similar problems.

I installed version 4.2 and wizard recognized my touchscreen as "3M 3M USB Touchscreen - EX II" "Evdev Axis Calibration".

In wizard mode touchscreen is working well if I do:
1. Set Screen settings (I must do it, because if don't do it, then after calibration touchscreen's axes are inverted/swap.)
2. Set Touchscreen calibration (but touchsrceen calibration must be set TWO times, because after first time it doesn't work well - axes are inverted/swap)

Then I test browser and everything is ok, but when I install and reboot system touchscreen has axes inverted/swap.
I tried install also with remote configuration and results are the same, after reboot configuration of touchscreen is lost.

barteks
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by barteks » 11 Jan 2017, 09:09

> 1. Set Screen settings (I must do it, because if don't do it, then after calibration touchscreen's axes are inverted/swap.)
I forgot to mention that when I use Screen settings I must click "Test setup" and then "Accept Configuration" to settings worked.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 11 Jan 2017, 12:42

Hello barteks,

Please contact me through support@porteus-kiosk.org and give me ssh access to your PC so i could investigate this issue. If firewall is a problem then you could associate it with my Kiosk Server.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

chardho
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 4.7.0

Post#6 by chardho » 12 Jan 2017, 10:44

I'm also having similar issues with calibrating a touch screen without it flipping the axes.
I have a usb HID compliant touch panel to use in a kiosk. The kiosk screen will be oriented in portrait mode.
I'm able to change the screen orientation but have not been able to successfully calibrate the screen so that the X and Y axes are aligned with the portrait orientation of the screen.

is this something that could be manipulated in the config file if I were sending the configuration from the server?

thanks,

Any help would be great.

Chardho

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 12 Jan 2017, 11:33

I think i know whats causing this:

System should calibrate the device first and then rotate it. Currently screen is configured first and then input devices.
I have reversed the order so please download 4.2.0 ISO again and let me know if it works ok now.

Thank you

chardho
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by chardho » 12 Jan 2017, 23:44

fanthom
Thanks for the quick reply.
So I downloaded the new version 4.2.0 as you suggested and went through the setup process a number of times with no success. Here is what I'm seeing.
1. Big issue is probably that I'm using a laptop with an attached 2nd monitor which is the touch monitor. When Porteus boots it does not recognize whether the lid is up or down so it always sees 2 monitors, the touchscreen monitor being the slave.
2. I have to first disable the primary (laptop) monitor to make the slave the primary monitor.
3. I then calibrate the touchscreen on the 2nd monitor before it is rotated. (sometimes this takes disabling the primary monitor a couple of times before the full screen is accessible, otherwise the calibration tool is half off the screen and does not extend to the sides of the screen)
4. Once I got it calibrated I then had to go back and rotate the screen. Problem being that since I had to previously disable the primary monitor, I now had to disable/re-enable monitor settings in order to rotate the secondary monitor into portrait mode. This seemed to kill any stickyness of the calibration.

Once I booted after this process the calibration was still in a different orientation than the screen.

Hope that helps determine what the problem may be.
Possibly this would not occur if I were using a pc without an attached monitor, but as for now that is all I have to use. I also tried to disable the primary monitor in the bios but no controls existed.

Thanks for the help on this.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#9 by fanthom » 13 Jan 2017, 15:29

Hello chardho,

Unfortunately i do not have an access to such hardware so i cant recreate your problem. I could try to debug this issue if you would give me ssh and vnc access to your kiosk. Setting up remote management would also help as we could update kiosk settings quickly.

Please contact me on support@porteus-kiosk.org so we could start working on this.

Thank you.

chardho
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by chardho » 13 Jan 2017, 23:29

fanthom,

thanks for getting back. I'm going to set up a dedicated computer to test it out and not use my laptop.
I'll get back and let you know what I find. I can also set it up for remote management.

thanks,
Chardho

barteks
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by barteks » 18 Jan 2017, 10:12

I installed new version but nothing has changed. Did You received my e-mail with information how to login to our ssh Porteus server ?

truchosky
White ninja
White ninja

Post#12 by truchosky » 19 Jan 2017, 21:35

now my touch screen is working

touchscreen_calibration="eGalax Inc. USB TouchController" "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 1992 93 118 1918"
thx you !

truchosky
White ninja
White ninja

Post#13 by truchosky » 19 Jan 2017, 21:45

chardho wrote:fanthom
Thanks for the quick reply.
So I downloaded the new version 4.2.0 as you suggested and went through the setup process a number of times with no success. Here is what I'm seeing.
1. Big issue is probably that I'm using a laptop with an attached 2nd monitor which is the touch monitor. When Porteus boots it does not recognize whether the lid is up or down so it always sees 2 monitors, the touchscreen monitor being the slave.
2. I have to first disable the primary (laptop) monitor to make the slave the primary monitor.
3. I then calibrate the touchscreen on the 2nd monitor before it is rotated. (sometimes this takes disabling the primary monitor a couple of times before the full screen is accessible, otherwise the calibration tool is half off the screen and does not extend to the sides of the screen)
4. Once I got it calibrated I then had to go back and rotate the screen. Problem being that since I had to previously disable the primary monitor, I now had to disable/re-enable monitor settings in order to rotate the secondary monitor into portrait mode. This seemed to kill any stickyness of the calibration.

Once I booted after this process the calibration was still in a different orientation than the screen.

Hope that helps determine what the problem may be.
Possibly this would not occur if I were using a pc without an attached monitor, but as for now that is all I have to use. I also tried to disable the primary monitor in the bios but no controls existed.

Thanks for the help on this.
you need to use xinput, and map the touch screen usb to the "touch screen"

for example, my config has two monitors, DP1 is my touch screen (vga) and HDMI2 is a full hdtv, so, when i power on the kiosk the mouse is moving on full hdtv and not in touch screen monitor, the fix was to map out the touch screen to the vga monitor, enter using ssh, use "xinput" and see the ids, my touch screen is 9

then do: "xinput map-to-output 9 DP1", 9 is touch screen ID and DP1 is my vga monitor, after that the mouse is moving only in touch screen and it works flawless !

barteks
White ninja
White ninja

Post#14 by barteks » 23 Jun 2017, 10:46

I want to ask, is somewhere a list with supported touch screens in Porteus Kiosk which runs out of the box (without need to customizing Porteus Kiosk iso).