[BUG] displaydriver crashes with HTML5 app issuu.com

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
pi0tr
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

[BUG] displaydriver crashes with HTML5 app issuu.com

Post#1 by pi0tr » 08 Dec 2016, 20:42

Hi,

to display folders digitally we use the issuu.com HTML5 folder viewer.
However, when visiting a page with Firefox with the viewer included, the display driver of Porteus Kiosk
crashes and that results in a short black screen and then in the following:

YouTube video's (HTML5, I've no flash installed) work perfectly, only this image viewer doesn't.

I've tried the following:
  • Different Porteus Kiosk versions (4.2 and 3.6). No difference
  • Different PC's (both HP core2duo's though, no other pc available). Same problem. However, no problem in a vm..
  • Tried using Chrome. The driver still crashes (black screen) but the stripes are much less severe. Can't use Chrome though because I need to hide the adressbar while tabs etc. remain visible.
  • Different display drivers, but can't seem to make these work (results in black screen after initial Porteus screen with me having to reinstall the entire usb stick)
Has somebody got any idea where to look?
Thanx! :)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: [BUG] displaydriver crashes with HTML5 app issuu.com

Post#2 by fanthom » 09 Dec 2016, 13:06

Hello pi0tr,

Please boot Ubuntu Live CD and check if its working correctly. If yes then please contact me on support@porteus-kiosk.org and provide testing account to issuu.com website so i could recreate this issue on my PC.
If Ubuntu does not work then issue is not kiosk related and you must report this bug upstream to Intel developers.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

pi0tr
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by pi0tr » 09 Dec 2016, 15:14

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I fired up a Ubuntu 16.04 Live CD with I think it was Firefox 47 and I had no problems whatsoever.
Also tried using a 'clean' version of Porteus with only the network parameters but still the same problem.

To test it you won't actually need an account. Visiting for example https://issuu.com/content-magazine/docs ... italwebres
(not my publication) will already make the driver crash on my machine.

If for one reason or another you really need an account please let me know and I will have a look what I can do.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 09 Dec 2016, 16:24

Just tried this link on i3 Laptop and it works perfectly well. It has Ironlake (gen5) GPU.

Please boot Ubuntu once again, download and run this script: http://porteus-kiosk.org/public/files/debug.sh (here is the command: 'sudo sh debug.sh') and send generated report to support@porteus-kiosk.org.

Please also generate second debug report in kiosk wizard and send to the same address. I'll try to find what differs in Ubuntu.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.