[SOLVED]Failed md5sum on 05-flash.xzm and legacy.xzm

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
mtarzaim
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 3.?

[SOLVED]Failed md5sum on 05-flash.xzm and legacy.xzm

Post#1 by mtarzaim » 30 May 2014, 09:13

Hi there!

Can't seem to download any flash component from the Kiosk iso wizard installer.
Says bad checksum or stuff like that. Not an issue with java and fonts, they get downloaded without a scratch. Also tried with default setting and only flash module checked.

Quite an issue, since flash is still heavily used, especially in kiosk environments for multimedia interactions and embedded code (youtube videos for instance).

Please fix this asap (or better, include it by default in the core.xzm), since my kiosk projects loose most of their useability without any flash plugin available.

Sorry if this has been already mentionned. Couldn't find any bug reports about any 05-flash.xzm.

Also, if a component fails to install, it might be better to allow to proceed anyway.
Because setting all the wizard for the twentieth time and watching it reboot from failure again is a lot of things, but certainly not a nice one.

btw, "Which company leads the development of linux?" or something like that...
Couldn't you think about a more difficult question to ask for a registration confirmation?
Even if you know the answer, there's still a dozen ways to write it differently. If the goal of this verification is to waste the time of your upcoming users and to chase them away, this is clearly an efficient one.
Last edited by mtarzaim on 03 Jun 2014, 14:53, edited 2 times in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Failed md5sum on 05-flash.xzm and 05-flash-legacy.xzm

Post#2 by fanthom » 30 May 2014, 12:30

hi mtarzaim,

Can't seem to download any flash component from the Kiosk iso wizard installer.
Says bad checksum or stuff like that.

just checked and md5 sums are ok. you can download flash xzm and do md5sum verification manually:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/public/

Please fix this asap (or better, include it by default in the core.xzm), since my kiosk projects loose most of their useability without any flash plugin available.
i'm doing my best but you must realize that kiosk is offered for free and i dont have any obligations to the users except for 'automatic updates' subscribers.
claims like: 'fix this asap cause my business is loosing money' should have no place here.
there is an option for a paid support: http://porteus-kiosk.org/paid-support.html so if you are interested - please apply.

"Sorry if this has been already mentionned."
i got similar bug report about initrdpxe.xz component but also couldn't recreate the bug on my side. i'm suspecting that maybe proxy server is playing a role as it does caching. will wait on news from you (if you manage to resolve it) before taking any actions.

"Also, if a component fails to install, it might be better to allow to proceed anyway."
rather not as this is the way of forcing users to report an issue.

"setting all the wizard for the twentieth time and watching it reboot from failure again is a lot of things, but certainly not a nice one."
preserving kiosk config is a good idea (but certainly it does not resolve the issue), see the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALmZ9R5rew

"Couldn't you think about a more difficult question to ask for a registration confirmation?"
since we introduced these questions all spam is gone from the forum so i can focus on development instead of deleting and banning spam bots.
if users find hard to answer the question then can always contact me directly:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html

"Even if you know the answer, there's still a dozen ways to write it differently. If the goal of this verification is to waste the time of your upcoming users and to chase them away, this is clearly an efficient one."
see the answer above.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

mtarzaim
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by mtarzaim » 31 May 2014, 12:14

fanthom wrote: just checked and md5 sums are ok. you can download flash xzm and do md5sum verification manually:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/public/
That's a good link to know about. Looked for it quite a few times, but couldn't find it (only the slackware ones). This should solve my issue.
You should add it in the faq, in the "configure kiosk manually" section.
claims like: 'fix this asap cause my business is loosing money' should have no place here.
I meant "projects" in the general meaning, not the commercial one.
It's been three weeks now this issue has popped on my side, rendering the 3.x version a lot less interesting than the 2.x ...
I'm suspecting that maybe proxy server is playing a role as it does caching. will wait on news from you (if you manage to resolve it) before taking any actions.
Then, it should fail also with java or fonts xzm. Which it doesn't: they are downloaded without issue every time.
Is the flash xzm on a different server?
I do have some "certificate error validation" in my browser from time to time, but a refresh of the page solves the problem. Don't see why this particular file would fail to download.
rather not as this is the way of forcing users to report an issue.
Except, the user isn't always in front of his computer to look at the screen, in case of some unseen bugs would pop up. It took me several iterations before realizing there was an issue during the setup.
At first, I thought it was the usb key, then the CD, then the computer, etc.
A "press c to continue, echap to quit" should do the trick. So the user will be able to see the error, but continue anyway to test his configuration.
Thanks!
since we introduced these questions all spam is gone from the forum so i can focus on development instead of deleting and banning spam bots.
I'm still considering it ineffective: you chase away more potential users, meaning less feedback. Most people won't contact the admin (and wait for a possible answer for days or weeks) about something so trivial. It's like asking a litterature question to any customer of a library before allowing them to enter. Between useability and security, the first should be prioritized, or the tool has no reason to exist.
The usual capcha works a lot better imo.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 01 Jun 2014, 14:07

You should add it in the faq, in the "configure kiosk manually" section.
added it on the download page to make it better visible - thanks

Then, it should fail also with java or fonts xzm. Which it doesn't: they are downloaded without issue every time.
i know, it's just weird

Is the flash xzm on a different server?
nope

It took me several iterations before realizing there was an issue during the setup.
20 secs is not enough? i can read the message several times during that time...

The usual capcha works a lot better imo.
maybe we had super bots as there were able to answer captchas correctly. current set if questions resolved spam issues permanently so we rather wont change it.
if user really want to post here then with little effort (searching google) will be able to register and do it.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

mtarzaim
Ronin
Ronin

Post#5 by mtarzaim » 03 Jun 2014, 14:53

Passing by to confirm the manual download from the web archive (and its addition into the iso through the linux script) resolved the issue.
I put both the flash and the legacy-flash, just in case. Works like a charm.

Thanks for your hardwork!