[Solved] Terminal shell in GUI mode

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
sanzi
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

[Solved] Terminal shell in GUI mode

Post#1 by sanzi » 07 Nov 2013, 12:17

I would like terminal in GUI mode. I found this information:

4 ) HOW CAN I LOGIN TO TEXT MODE TO CHECK IF MY CUSTOMIZATIONS ARE WORKING?
You need to set a custom root password using the kiosk wizard or by manually editing the file /etc/shadow inside the 003-settings.xzm module (a copy of that file could be placed in /rootcopy/etc/shadow)
Now copy the file /etc/inittab from the 001-core.xzm module to /porteus/rootcopy/etc/ and change the default runlevel from 4 to 3. You also have to uncomment at least one virtual terminal to be able to login. Remove the hash to make it look like in this example:
c1::respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
Finally create a new ISO with your customizations included.

5 ) I WOULD LIKE TO MONITOR MY KIOSK SYSTEM WHILE THE GUI/FIREFOX IS RUNNING. HOW CAN I DO THIS?
For security reasons the terminal shell is disabled in GUI mode. that means that popular applications like xterm, konsole, lxterminal or any other shell emulator will not work in the GUI. The only way of getting access to the terminal while Xorg is running is to re-enable VT switching by commenting out:
Option "DontVTSwitch"
in the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-xorg.conf from 003-settings.xzm (a copy of this file could be placed in the /rootcopy folder).
Now after booting you can press ctrl+alt+F1 and login to the shell as normal (make sure you complete the steps from FAQ #4, above).

But, with the 5 point I have got some problem. In Porteus-Desktop's or Porteus-Kiosk's 003-settings.xzm file not contain 10-xorg.conf. I unpacked 003-settings.xzm with xzm2dir, but in xorg.conf.d I found only one file, which is that: 90-keyboard-layout.cong . So, where is 10-xorg.conf?
Last edited by sanzi on 07 Nov 2013, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Terminal shell in GUI mode

Post#2 by fanthom » 07 Nov 2013, 14:03

this file is in 001-core.xzm now. will fix the documentation soon.
thanks for reporting.

btw: latest kiosk wizard has an option for adding ssh server which can be used for monitoring kiosk remotely.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

sanzi
White ninja
White ninja

Re: Terminal shell in GUI mode

Post#3 by sanzi » 07 Nov 2013, 14:10

Thank so much!