Barcode scanner layout not recognized at startup

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
schiggi
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: porteus 5.5

Post#1 by schiggi » 13 Jun 2023, 09:34

Hi there,

We are using Porteus Cloud 5.5 for some kiosks with a barcode scanner. We are experiencing some strange behavior and are not sure if it is a problem with the barcode scanner setup or with Porteus itself.

We have configured Porteus to use only one non-English keyboard layout. Our barcode scanners rely on this to read the numbers correctly. Basically, in the setup we use, the 0 key is the first on the keyboard, followed by 1,2,3... (English/UK would be 1,2,3...0 at the end).

Now, during boot, it seems to read incorrectly and only after unplugging and reconnecting the barcode scanner does it work as intended.

Any advice on what to check for? Anything during the boot of Porteus that could cause this behavior?

Thanks.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 13 Jun 2023, 11:16

Hello schiggi,

I'm not sure how to fix this.

As a workaround you may force reconnecting all USB devices with this kiosk parameter:

Code: Select all

for i in /sys/bus/pci/drivers/[uoex]hci_hcd/*:*; do echo "${i##*/}" > "${i%/*}/unbind"; echo "${i##*/}" > "${i%/*}/bind"; done; for i in /sys/bus/pci/drivers/[uoex]hci-pci/*:*; do echo "${i##*/}" > "${i%/*}/unbind"; echo "${i##*/}" > "${i%/*}/bind"; done; sleep 3
Mind it may cause an unexpected behaviour (touchscreen may stop working, etc) so please test before using in a production.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

schiggi
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: porteus 5.5

Post#3 by schiggi » 14 Jun 2023, 09:21

Hi fanthom, thanks for your quick reply. I will give it a try and let you know. Am I right in assuming that I need to use the run_command parameter and I don't need to reinstall the systems (since we are using the remote config setup)?