Kiosk 3.2

New features which should be implemented in Porteus Kiosk Edition and the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Johannes
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus - Kiosk 4.5.0 - i486

Kiosk 3.2

Post#1 by Johannes » 16 Jan 2015, 07:48

I have just installed Porteus Kiosk 3.2.0 I'm using it as a secondary surf operating system and like it a lot so far, especially its speed. And now to my question. Would it be possible to add a volume knob? On headphones, setting the default volume at 75% can sometimes be too silent for some web sites, and setting it between 80 to 100% can often be too loud. It would be great to be able to individually adjust the volume for each site.

Thank you,

Johannes

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Kiosk 3.2

Post#2 by fanthom » 16 Jan 2015, 13:14

hi Johannes,

would be tough to integrate it with firefox so its visible for everybody. imagine a public place where user sets volume to 0% (for fun) and other kiosk users dont know how to rise it.

if you are a coder then you probably could remaster the ISO and add this functionality yourself. this one looks fancy:
http://konrad.strack.pl/blog/volume-cha ... in-openbox

besides: every player (flash, html5) comes with its own sound volume controller - why not to use provided one?

REMINDER: please post kiosk threads in kiosk section of the forum only.
i'm getting tired of repeating this ...
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Johannes
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus - Kiosk 4.5.0 - i486

Post#3 by Johannes » 16 Jan 2015, 13:55

fanthom wrote:hi Johannes,

would be tough to integrate it with firefox so its visible for everybody. imagine a public place where user sets volume to 0% (for fun) and other kiosk users dont know how to rise it.

if you are a coder then you probably could remaster the ISO and add this functionality yourself. this one looks fancy:
http://konrad.strack.pl/blog/volume-cha ... in-openbox

besides: every player (flash, html5) comes with its own sound volume controller - why not to use provided one?
I knew that you would say that! I do use the flash players volume controller, however, until I manage to locate the volume controller on the flash player, while having my headphones on, the sound almost always blows out my ears! What I did now was to set the default volume level to 100 and then adjust the volume levels with the flash player's volume controls, however, for the reason mentioned above, it's not the ideal solution. I think that an added master volume control button would have been better
fanthom wrote:REMINDER: please post kiosk threads in kiosk section of the forum only.
i'm getting tired of repeating this ...
Sorry! I have never seen this reminder before this post.
Thank you, Johannes

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 16 Jan 2015, 20:47

I think that an added master volume control button would have been better
this could be done only by using addon and we do not have addons in kiosk by default (as often they get outdated and incompatible).
maybe you could map special keys to volume increase/decrease? i have given you a link how to do it.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.