[SOLVED] Sanickiosk

New features which should be implemented in Porteus Kiosk Edition and the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
godzilla8nj
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Ubuntu

[SOLVED] Sanickiosk

Post#1 by godzilla8nj » 13 Jan 2014, 23:21

Let me start by saying I am unfamiliar with Porteus.

A few years ago, after leaving a career in the software industry, I became a librarian. While working at Princeton Public Library I created a simple Ubuntu-based web kiosk for displaying their library catalog. Over the years I kept fine-tuning it and have now released a fully-customizable turnkey version aimed at installation and administration by users with little-to-no technical expertise. Info may be found here: http://links.sanicki.com/sanickiosk.

A few people trying it have mentioned they currently use Porteus. So I was wondering if there might be any benefit in rebuilding Sanickiosk atop Porteus? My ultimate goal would be to retain functionality but reduce the ISO size to at least fit on CD.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Last edited by godzilla8nj on 14 Jan 2014, 16:27, edited 2 times in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Sanickiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 14 Jan 2014, 10:08

hello Scott,
So I was wondering if there might be any benefit in rebuilding Sanickiosk atop Porteus? My ultimate goal would be to retain functionality but reduce the ISO size to at least fit on CD.
after reading the doc i'm fairly sure that it wont be possible as Porteus Kiosk is too much stripped to handle all the features offered by Sanickiosk (for example mounting of external usb drives). you may try but be prepared to add many missing libs/utils or even single files (require days if not a weeks of work).
it would be probably easier to modify your current ISO and just delete all unnecessary files. Porteus kiosk is under 50MB in default configuration so i'm sure it's possible to fit any kiosk project on a CD.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

godzilla8nj
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Ubuntu

Re: Sanickiosk [SOLVED]

Post#3 by godzilla8nj » 14 Jan 2014, 16:26

fanthom wrote:days if not a weeks of work
Exactly the input I needed. I'll try your advice to trim it down another way. Thanks!