can't boot hybrid porteus kiosk iso from usb

New features which should be implemented in Porteus Kiosk Edition and the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
SJack
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 1

can't boot hybrid porteus kiosk iso from usb

Post#1 by SJack » 04 Sep 2013, 10:30

I have the latest porteus-kiosk iso and a booting USB stick with porteus-kiosk, but i'd like to add the iso to a stick that already has syslinux and boots porteus classic, slax etc.

I have copied boot from the kiosk USB stick to /porteus-kiosk/ on the mulitboot USB stick and copied the hybrid iso to /porteus-kiosk/porteus-kiosk-v2.1-i486.iso

My porteus.cfg has the following lines

LABEL kiosk
MENU LABEL Porteus Kiosk
KERNEL /porteus-kiosk/boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/porteus-kiosk/boot/initrd.xz from=/dev/sdb1/porteus-kiosk/porteus-kiosk-v2.1-i486.iso quiet copy2ram

but all i get is

Starting Porteus Kiosk Edition <http ... >
^ device not ready yet? delaying x secconds

How can I get this to work?

Also, can I have the URL for the "kiosk base" that the wizard tries to download? I'm behind a proxy

thanks - jack

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: can't boot hybrid porteus kiosk iso from usb

Post#2 by fanthom » 04 Sep 2013, 16:25

hi jack,

kiosk kernel can read files only from iso9660 filesystem (it wont read from FAT/ext4/etc) so you have to actually burn the ISO on CD or USB.
you could create small partition (100-200MB) designated for kiosk and burn the iso there. then you would have to extract vmlinuz and initrd.xz from the ISO and point your bootloader to them.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

SJack
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by SJack » 05 Sep 2013, 08:41

The boot params (cheatcode file) seems to suggest that vmlinuz can mount an iso image to boot it (i assumed this was without having to "burn" the image to a partition.

from=/ISOs/porteus-kiosk.iso

is this still correct?

if i create a partition and dd the iso image, then i can use from_dev? I'll give it a shot and see what happens

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 05 Sep 2013, 08:58

kiosk version is stripped from almost all cheatcodes present in porteus standard edition ('from=' is one of them). we use very few cheats in kiosk (simplicity is the key) and you should never enter them manually. everything what is allowed is included in the wizard.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

SJack
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by SJack » 05 Sep 2013, 09:06

sounds sensible.
thanks for your time.

SJack
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by SJack » 05 Sep 2013, 09:56

ok, "burning" the pk.iso to a tiny 100Mb partition on the USB key worked.

all I need now it to customise it with the wizard (it would be a shame not to get it to work and have to resort to unsquashing)

I'll update the other thread http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=2565

sanzi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by sanzi » 10 Sep 2013, 09:21

I make a simple .iso file, which one works perfectly from CD. I would like to boot the computer from hdd, so I need isohybrid format. I made a new iso with the wizard, but it not worked. When boot the computer show a text like this: "Load 6 modules, it take some time, please wait", and didn't happe anything. I decided to make a isohybrid from my simple iso file. On a Porteus Desktop version i try this this command: isohybrid /path/to_kiosk.iso . The answer: bash: isohybrid: command not found . How can I use or install(?) this command on a Portable Porteus Desktop version to make my own isohybrid? Thanks!

sanzi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by sanzi » 10 Sep 2013, 16:03

I make a new isohybrid image with the Wizard, and with this the hdd boot perfectly!

sanzi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by sanzi » 11 Sep 2013, 09:01

One information yet! Use isohybrid utility use this command in Portable Porteus Desktop: ./bin/isohybrid